Please note: MSD gears will only work with MSD distributor parts. This gear test fixture features variable RPM and oil pressure control allowing MSD engineers the ability to maintain the exact conditions that they want for gear tests. Severe loads can be placed on the gear and the fixture can spin up to 10,000 RPM (crankshaft). Equipment and quality procedures like this are a big advantage to our customers and MSD. These two gears were run at 7,200 RPM with an oil pressure of 85 psi. The MSD gear on the left ran for 12 hours and shows only a slight chaffing on the teeth. The other gear lasted only four minutes and is destroyed.
- Increased outer hardened layer thickness (RC 55-60)
- Micro polished surface for smooth contact
- Proprietary formulated ductile iron
- Melonite QPQ coated reduces friction and initial wear
- Interstitial carbide concentration improves wear resistance and running properties