The sending unit is located in the engine block or cylinder head.
- Locate the sending unit and unplug sending unit electrical harness.
Connect instrument gauge system tester 014-R1063 or its equivalent to the sending unit connector.
- Set the tester to 275 ohms, turn the ignition key to the RUN position, wait 60 seconds and read the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster. It should read C .
- If the gauge does not read as specified there may be a problem with either the cluster gauge wiring or the cluster printed circuit board.
- Set the tester to 18.3 ohms, wait 60 seconds and read the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster. If the gauge is now in the H position and was in the C position at 275 ohms. The sender is defective and should be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the sending unit electrical harness.
- Drain the engine coolant below the level of the switch.
- Remove the sending unit from the engine using the proper size socket.
- Coat the new sending unit with Teflon tape or electrically conductive sealer.
- Install the sending unit and tighten until it is snug.
- Attach the sending unit's electrical connector.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach operating temperature ,bleed the cooling system and check for leaks.
- Check for proper sending unit operation.