REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The front of dash mounting plates must be loosened whenever the steering column is to be lowered from the instrument panel.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
On 1991-93 vehicles, disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system as follows:
- Turn the steering wheel so the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight-ahead.
- Remove the SIR fuse from the fuse block.
- Remove the left sound insulator by removing the nut from the stud and gently prying the insulator from the knee bolster.
- Disconnect the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and yellow 2-way SIR harness connector at the base of the steering column.
- Remove the nut and bolt from the upper intermediate shaft coupling. Separate the coupling from the lower end of the steering column.
- Remove the steering wheel if the column is to be replaced or repaired on the bench.
- Remove the knee bolster and bracket, if equipped.
- Remove the bolts attaching the toe plate to the cowl.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors.
- Remove the capsule nuts attaching the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel.
- Disconnect the shift indicator cable and gear selector rod from the column assembly.
- Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
If a replacement steering column is being installed, do not remove the anti-rotation pin until after the steering column has been connected to the steering gear. Removing the anti-rotation pin before the steering column is connected to the steering gear may damage the SIR coil assembly.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle.
- Connect the shift indicator cable to the column.
- Install the capsule nuts attaching the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the nut and bolt to the upper intermediate shaft coupling attaching the upper intermediate shaft to the steering column. Tighten the nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Install the bolts attaching the toe plate to the cowl and tighten to 58 inch lbs. (6.5 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connectors.
- Remove the anti-rotation pin if a service replacement steering column is being installed.
- Install the knee bolster and bracket, if equipped.
- Install the sound insulator panel.
If SIR coil has become uncentered by turning of the steering wheel without the column connected to the steering gear, follow the proper adjustment procedure for SIR Coil Centering before proceeding.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Enable the SIR system as follows:
- Connect the yellow 2-way SIR harness connector to the base of the steering column and CPA clip and install the SIR fuse.
- Install the left sound insulator.
- Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and verify that the inflatable restraint indicator flashes 7-9 times and then turns OFF . If the indicator does not respond as stated, a problem within the SIR system is indicated.