REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
All late models are equipped with front a rear 3-point seat belt system, the early models are only equipped with lap belts in the rear. The late model sedans are also equipped with a power shoulder belt assembly.
The 1989-91 Civic hatchback and CRX are equipped with a 3-point belt system that has its components located in the door.
STANDARD 3-POINT BELTS-EXCEPT 1989-91 CIVIC HATCHBACK AND CRX
- Remove the center door trim panel on sedan models or quarter trim panel on hatchback models.
- Remove the upper and lower seat belt anchor bolts.
- Remove the retractor mounting bolts.
- Remove the belt assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the center belt latch by sliding the seat forward and removing the mounting bolt.
- Install the belt in position. Tighten the upper and lower anchor bolts and the retractor bolt to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the center latch assembly and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the trim panels. Make sure that the belt retracts properly.
- Remove the door panel assembly.
- Remove the shoulder belt studs and bracket.
- Remove the belt guide bolt and the guide.
- Remove the two nuts that retain the lap belt bracket and remove the bracket.
- Remove the four nuts that retain the emergency locking retractor and remove the assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the seat to remove the center latch assembly.
- Install the assembly in reverse order. Tighten the retractor assembly bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Replace the shoulder belt studs and tighten the stud to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) using a T40 Torx® bit. Tighten the belt guide bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the door panel assembly. Check that the seat belt operates properly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the center pillar trim and the front pillar trim.
- Remove the shoulder belt track mounting bolts and remove the track.
- Remove the drive unit mounting bolts and remove the drive unit.
- Remove the lap belt assembly cover and remove the mounting bolts. Remove the lap belt assembly.
- Remove the front seat assembly and remove the shoulder belt retractor assembly bolts and the retractor.
- Install the components in reverse order. Tighten the shoulder belt track bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). Tighten the drive unit bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the lap belt assembly and tighten the bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm). Install the shoulder belt assembly and tighten the bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the seat and the interior trim panels. Connect the negative battery cable. Check the operation of the shoulder belt assembly.
The rear lap belt is removed by simply removing the mounting bolts and pulling the belts out. Torque the belt mounting bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).3-POINT BELT
The rear 3-point belt are removed in the same manner as the front belts, except for the removal of the rear quarter trim panel or C pillar panel.