Removal & Installation
Do not spill brake fluid on the vehicle; it may damage the paint; if brake fluid gets on the paint, wash it off immediately with water. Be careful not to damage or deform the brake lines during removal and installation. To prevent the brake fluid from flowing, plug and cover the hose ends and joints with a shop towel or equivalent material.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Push down the lock (A) on the VSA modulator-control unit 47P connector (B), and remove the connector.
- Disconnect the six brake lines from the VSA modulator-control unit (C).
- Remove the three 6 mm bolts, then remove the VSA modulator-control unit with bracket (D) from the body.
Remove the three hex bolts, then remove the VSA modulator-control unit from the bracket.
- Install the VSA modulator-control unit on the bracket, then tighten the three hex bolts to specifications shown in the accompanying figure.
- Install the VSA modulator-control unit/bracket on the body, then tighten the three 6mm bolts to the specifications shown in the accompanying figure.
- Reconnect the six brake lines, then tighten the nuts to the specifications shown in the accompanying figure.
- Set the 47P connector into the modulator-control unit.
- Carefully pull up the lock of the VSA modulator-control unit 47P connector until you hear it click into place, then confirm the connector is fully seated.
- Bleed the brake system, starting with the front wheels, as outlined earlier in this section.
If you have a HDS, perform the VSA sensor neutral position memorization, as follows:
- With the ignition switch OFF, connect the HDS to the 16P data link connector (DLC) under the driver's side of the dashboard.
- Select VSA from the System Select menu.
Select Neutral Test, then All Sensors. Follow the system prompts.
NOTEDo not press the brake pedal during this procedure.
If you do not have a HDS, perform the VSA sensor neutral position memorization, as follows:
- Park the vehicle on a flat and level surface.
- With the ignition switch OFF, connect a suitable scan tool to the 16P data link connector (DLC) (A) under the driver's side of the dashboard.
- Short the SCS circuit using the scan tool.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II) with the brake pedal position switch released. The ABS indicator comes on for 2 seconds and goes off.
- After the ABS indicator goes off, press and release the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds.
- After the ABS indicator comes on, press and release the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds.
- The VSA activation indicator blinks two times and goes off in 1 second, then the system completes the VSA sensor neutral position memorization.
- When the ABS indicator, VSA indicator and VSA activation indicator go off, the memorizing is done. If the indicators do not go off, retry these steps.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF, and disconnect the scan tool from the DLC.
- Start the engine, and check that the ABS and VSA indicators go off.
- Test-drive the vehicle, and check that the ABS and VSA indicators do not come on.