REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10SD22 Engines
- Disconnect the battery cable(s). Remove the fan and radiator.
- Remove the injection lines and cap all openings immediately.
- Disconnect all lines and hoses attached to the pump or in the way of pump removal.
- Remove the oil filter.
- Remove the rear pump bracket.
- Remove the timing gear cover.
- Remove the timer round nut.
- Remove the timer assembly using tool #ST1953000.
- Unbolt and remove the pump.
- Align the crankshaft timing marks at TDC of the No. 1 piston's compression stroke.
- Loosely install the injection pump. Mesh the idler gear and pump drive gear at the Y mark, then align the gear and keyway on the pump camshaft while turning the crankshaft pulley.
- Install the timer round nut and washer. Tighten to 50 ft. lbs.
- Align the timing mark on the front of the pump with the corresponding mark on the front cover. Tighten the pump mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs.
- Remove the cap from the priming pump.
- Turn the priming pump counterclockwise.
- Loosen the air vent screw.
- Move the priming pump up and down until no further air comes from the vent screw.
- Tighten the vent screw and push and turn the priming pump clockwise. Install the cap. Wipe off all spilled fuel.
See Figures 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18
- Disconnect the negative battery cable(s). Set the No. 1 piston at TDC of its compression stroke.
- Disconnect the injection tubes. Plug the nozzle openings and be careful not to damage the spill tube.
- Tag and disconnect the fuel cut solenoid harness.
- Disconnect the accelerator wire, the overflow hose and the fuel inlet hose (plug this one). Additionally, disconnect the cold start device water line and the fuel return hose (plug this one).
- Loosen the bolts and remove the injection pump drive gear cover..
- Loosen the drive gear nut and then remove the gear with a two-armed puller.
- Loosen the mounting bolts and nuts and remove the injection pump with the injection tubes still attached.
- Check the the No. 1 piston is still at TDC and then position the injection pump so that the pump flange aligns with the Y mark on the front cover. Install the drive gear and tighten the nut to 43-51 ft. lbs. (59-69 Nm).
Be careful not to allow the key to fall into the front cover and be absolutely certain that the Y marks are aligned.
- Install the drive gear cover with a new gasket and then adjust the plunger lift.
- Tighten the injection pump mounting nut to 14-18 ft. lbs. (20-25 Nm) and the bolts to 12-16 ft. lbs. (16-22 Nm).
- Install the injection tubes to the injectors. Bleed the system.
PLUNGER LIFT ADJUSTMENT
- Remove the plug bolt from the distributor head and install a dial gauge.
- Rotate the cold start device linkage clockwise and install a block of wood or paper (15mm) between the linkage and the device.
- Set the No. 1 piston at TDC of the compression stroke and then rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 20-25 degrees. Check the gauge in this position and then reset it to zero.
- Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the No. 1 piston is at TDC again and then read the gauge. Plunger lift should be 0.0374-0.0390 in. (0.95-0.99mm).
- Adjust the plunger lift by rotating the injection pump until it is within range. Clockwise to decrease the measurement and counterclockwise to increase.
- Tighten the injection pump mounting bolts. Disconnect the dial gauge and install the plug bolt with a new washer. Tighten it to 10-14 ft. lbs. (14-20 Nm).