REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 thru 23
- Raise and support the vehicle until the wheel to be serviced is off the ground and remove the wheel and brake drum.
- With a pair of pliers, remove the brake shoe holddown anti-rattle spring retainers. Depress the retainer while rotating it 90 degrees to align the slot in the retainer with the flanged end of the pin. Remove the retainers, springs, spring seats, and pins.
- Open the brake shoes outward against the return springs and remove the parking brake extension link.
- Disconnect the brake shoe return springs.
- Remove the brake shoes from the backing plate. The secondary (after) brake shoe must be disconnected from the parking brake toggle lever after withdrawing the toggle lever clevis pin.
- Remove the rubber boot from behind the brake backing plate and slide the adjuster shim, lockplate, and adjuster springs off the back of the adjuster assembly. Remove the adjuster assembly from the backing plate.
- Clean the backing plate and adjuster assembly so they are free of all dust and dirt.
- Check the wheel cylinders.
- Apply brake grease to the adjuster assembly housing bore, adjuster wheel, and adjuster screw. Assemble the adjuster assemble with the adjuster screw turned all the way in. Apply brake grease to the sliding surfaces of the adjuster assembly, brake backing plate, and the retaining spring. Install the adjuster assembly to the backing plate.
On 1986-88 models (D21-D series) with 4wd, after installing the crank lever on the back plate, make sure there is no play between the crank lever and the back plate when pulling the crank lever. If play exists, adjust bolt "A" and locknut "A".
- Assemble the secondary (after) brake shoe to the parking brake toggle lever and adjust the clearance between the toggle lever and the brake shoe. On 1970-79 models, use the proper thickness toggle pin washer to adjust the clearance which should be 0.012 in. (0.3mm). Toggle pin washers are available in the following thicknesses: 0.079 in. (2mm), 0.091 in. (2.3mm), 0.102 in. (2.6mm), 0.114 in. (2.9mm), and 0.126 in. (3.2mm).
- Before assembling the brake shoes to the backing plate apply brake grease to the following areas: the brake shoe grooves in the parking brake extension link, the inside surfaces of the anti-rattle (retaining) spring seats, and the contact surfaces between the brake backing plate and the brake shoes.
- Assemble the brake shoes to the backing plate. Measure the inner diameter of the brake drum and then measure the outer diameter of the shoes (at the center). The shoe outer diameter should be 0.0098-0.0157 in. (0.25-0.40mm) less than the drum inner diameter; if not, adjust it by rotating the star wheel adjuster.
- Install the brake drum and the wheel.
- Adjust the brakes. Bleed the brakes.
On 1980-88 models, adjust the shoe-to-drum clearance by operating the parking brake lever several times. On earlier models refer to the adjustment procedure for drum brakes outlined earlier.