Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the terminals. Refer to the appropriate chart for your engine. If the resistance is not as specified, replace the sender.
- Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.
- Locate the coolant temperature-sending unit on the engine.
- Disconnect the sending unit electrical harness.
- Drain the engine coolant below the level of the switch.
- Unfasten and remove the sending unit from the engine. Discard the old gasket if equipped.
- Coat the new sending unit with Teflon®tape or electrically conductive sealer. Place a new gasket on the sender.
- Install the sending unit and tighten to 12-18 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm).
- Attach the sending unit's electrical connector.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach operating temperature and check for leaks.
- Check for proper sending unit operation.