To inspect the wheel stud:
- Raise the vehicle with the appropriate hoist, and properly secure it.
- Loosen the lug nuts using a lug wrench.
- Remove the wheel.
- Test the security of the stud.
- Wheel studs are shoulder press-fit, so if it wobbles or wiggles, you'll need to replace it.
- Also check to see if the stud threads are broken, rusty or corroded. If necessary, replace the stud
- Refer to your vehicle's service manual. On some disc brake vehicles you may need to replace the entire rotor hub assembly because individual stud replacement isn't recommended.