To access most oil pump screens, the engine oil pan must be removed.
- The oil pump sump screen, or pickup, must be checked to be sure it is clean.
- A new oil pump does not come with a new screen.
- Some rebuilders replace every screen with a new one.
- A plugged screen can ruin a new engine in a very short time.
This pump screen is full of large pieces of foreign material. Courtesy of Federal-Mogul Corporation.
When the bypass valve opens on a cold morning, the foreign material will be sucked into the oil pump. Courtesy of Federal-Mogul Corporation.
- On a newly cleaned screen, make sure that the bypass is not struck permanently open.
This pump screen is defective; the bypass should be seated against the strap.
- Be certain that a screen does not have any loose or damaged wire mesh that could break loose and cause oil pump failure.