- To check the ball joint, raise and safely support the vehicle. Let the front wheels hang free.
- Insert a prybar between the control arm and the ball joint clamping bolt. Be careful to not damage the ball joint boot.
- Measure the play between the bottom of the ball joint and the clamping bolt with a caliper. Total must not exceed 0.100 inch (2.5mm).
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Jack up the front of the vehicle and support it on jackstands.
- Matchmark the ball joint-to-control arm position on the Dasher, Fox and Quantum.
- Remove the retaining bolt and nut from the hub (wheel bearing housing).
- Pry the lower control arm and ball joint down and out of the strut.
- Remove the two ball joint-to-lower control arm retaining nuts and bolts on the Dasher, Fox or Quantum. Drill out the rivets on the Rabbit, Jetta, Golf and Scirocco, then enlarge the holes to 3mm.
- Remove the ball joint assembly.
Install the Dasher, Fox or Quantum ball joint in the reverse order of removal. If no parts were installed other than the ball joint, align the matchmarks made earlier. No camber adjustment is necessary if this is done. Pull the ball joint into alignment with pliers. Observe the following torques:
Control arm-to-ball joint bolts-47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)
- On the Golf, Rabbit, Jetta and Scirocco, bolt the new ball joint in place (bolts are provided with the replacement ball joint), and tighten them to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Tighten the retaining bolt holding the ball joint to the hub to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).