The lower ball joint is integrated with the lower control arm on all 2005-2008 Mustang models.
Removal & Installation
This procedure applies to the 1999-04 Mustangs. On 2005 Mustangs the lower ball joint is part of the lower control arm. Replace lower control arm if the ball joint requires replacement.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Remove front wheel.
- Remove disc brake caliper and rotor.
- Remove wheel speed sensor.
- Disconnect outer tie rod end.
- Support the lower control arm with a jack stand and remove the spindle.
Press the lower ball joint out of the control arm.
- Press the lower ball joint into the control arm so that the joint is fully seated in the control arm.
- Install spindle. Tighten the ball joint nut to 109-149 ft. lbs. (148-202 Nm). Tighten the strut bolts to 141-191 ft. lbs. (190-259 Nm).
- Connect outer tie rod end. Tighten the nut to 36-46 ft. lbs. (48-63 Nm).
- Install disc brake rotor and caliper. Tighten the caliper mounting bolts to 96 ft. lbs. (130 Nm).
- Install wheel speed sensor.
- Install front wheel.