REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Remove the engine oil filler neck.
- Remove the bolts attaching injection pump to drive gear.
- Disconnect battery ground cables from both batteries.
- Disengage the electrical connectors to the injection pump.
- Remove the fast idle solenoid bracket assembly to provide access to the injection pump mounting nuts.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable and speed control cable from throttle lever, if so equipped.
- Remove the air cleaner and install clean rags to prevent dirt from entering the intake manifold.
- Remove the accelerator cable bracket, with cables attached, from the intake manifold and position out of the way.
All fuel lines and fittings must be capped using Fuel System Protective Cap Set T83T-9395-A or equivalent, to prevent fuel contamination.
- Remove the fuel filter-to-injection pump fuel line and cap the fittings.
- Remove and cap the injection pump inlet elbow and the injection pump fitting adapter.
- Remove the fuel return line on the injection pump, then rotate out of the way, and cap all fittings.
It is not necessary to remove injection lines from the injection pump. If lines are to be removed, loosen the injection line fittings at the injection pump before removing it from engine.
- Remove the fuel injection lines from the nozzles, and cap the lines and nozzles.
- Remove the three nuts attaching the injection pump to the injection pump adapter using Tool T83T-9000-B.
- If the injection pump is to be replaced, loosen the injection line retaining clips and the injection nozzle fuel lines with Tool T83T-9396-A and cap all fittings at this time with protective cap set T83T-9395-A or equivalent. Do not install the injection nozzle fuel lines until the new pump is installed in the engine.
- Lift the injection pump, with the nozzle lines attached, up and out of the engine compartment.
- Install a new O-ring on the drive gear end of the injection pump.
- Move the injection pump down and into position.
- Position the alignment dowel on injection pump into the alignment hole on drive gear.
- Install the bolts attaching the injection pump to drive gear and tighten.
- Install the nuts attaching injection pump to adapter. Align scribe lines on the injection pump flange and the injection pump adapter and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- If the injection nozzle fuel lines were removed from the injection pump install at this time, refer to the Injection Lines installation procedure in this section.
- Remove the caps from nozzles and the fuel lines and install the fuel line nuts on the nozzles and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Connect the fuel return line to injection pump and tighten the nuts.
- Install the injection pump fitting adapter with a new O-ring.
- Clean the old sealant from the injection pump elbow threads, using clean solvent, and dry thoroughly. Apply a light coating of pipe sealant to the elbow threads.
- Install the elbow in the injection pump adapter and tighten to a minimum of 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm). Then tighten further, if necessary, to align the elbow with the injection pump fuel inlet line, but do not exceed 360 degrees of rotation or 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Remove the caps and connect the fuel filter-to-injection pump fuel line.
- Install the accelerator cable bracket on the intake manifold.
- Remove the rags from the intake manifold and install the air cleaner.
- Connect the accelerator and speed control cable, if so equipped, to the throttle lever.
- Install the fast idle solenoid bracket assembly.
- Install the electrical connectors on injection pump.
- Clean the injection pump adapter and oil filler neck sealing surfaces.
- Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV sealant on the adapter housing.
- Install the oil filler neck and tighten the bolts.
- Connect the battery ground cables to both batteries.
- Run the engine and check for fuel leaks.
- If necessary, purge high pressure fuel lines of air by loosening connector one half to one turn and cranking engine until solid fuel, free from bubbles flows from connection.
- Check and adjust injection pump timing as described in this section.
See Figures 9, 10, 11 and 12
- Break the torque of the injection pump mounting nuts (keeping the nuts snug).
- Rotate the injection pump using Tool T83-9000-C or equivalent to bring the mark on the pump into alignment with the mark on the pump mounting adapter.
- Visually recheck the alignment of the timing marks and tighten the injection pump mounting nuts.
- Start the engine and bring it up to normal operating temperature.
- Stop the engine and install a dynamic timing meter, Rotunda 78-0100 or equivalent, by placing the magnetic probe pick-up into the probe hole.
- Remove the No. 1 glow plug wire and remove the glow plug, install the luminosity probe and tighten to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm). Install the photocell over the probe.
- Connect the dynamic timing meter to the battery and adjust the offset of the meter.
- Set the transmission in neutral and raise the rear wheels off the ground. Using Rotunda 14-0302, throttle control, set the engine speed to 1,400 rpm with no accessory load. Observe the injection timing on the dynamic timing meter.
Obtain the fuel sample from the vehicle and check the cetane value using the tester supplied with the Ford special tools 78-0100 or equivalent. Refer to the dynamic timing chart to find the correct timing in degrees.
- If the dynamic timing is not within plug or minus 2 degrees of specification, then the injection pump timing will require adjustment.
- Turn the engine OFF . Note the timing mark alignment. Loosen the injection pump-to-adapter nuts.
- Rotate the injection pump clockwise (when viewed from the front of the engine) to retard or counterclockwise to advance the timing. Two degrees of dynamic timing equals approximately 0.030 in. (0.76mm) of timing mark movement.
- Start the engine and recheck the timing. If the timing is not within plus or minus 1 degree of specification, repeat steps 7 through 9.
- Turn the engine OFF . Remove the dynamic timing equipment. Lightly coat the glow plug thread with anti-seize compound, install the glow plugs and tighten to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm). Connect the glow plug wires.