INTERMEDIATE BAND ADJUSTMENT
See Figure 1
- Raise the truck on a hoist or jackstands.
- Clean all dirt away from the band adjusting screw. Remove and discard the locknut.
- Install a new locknut and tighten the adjusting screw to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Back off the adjusting screw exactly 1 1 / 2 turns.
- Hold the adjusting screw from turning and tighten the locknut to 35-40 ft. lbs. (47-54 Nm).
- Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.
SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- With the engine stopped, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D position for the C6 or the D overdrive position for the AOD and E4OD, and hold the lever against the stop by hanging an 8 lb. weight from the lever handle.
- Loosen the shift rod adjusting nut at the transmission lever.
- Shift the manual lever at the transmission to the D position, two detents from the rear. On the F-150 with 4WD and Bronco, move the bell crank lever.
- With the selector lever and transmission manual lever in the D or D overdrive position, tighten the adjusting nut to 12-18 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm). Do not allow the rod or shift lever to move while tightening the nut. Remove the weight.
- Check the operation of the shift linkage.
- With the engine stopped, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D position for the C6 or the D overdrive position for the AODE-W, 4R70W and E4OD.
- Hang a 3 lb. (1.4 kg) weight on the end of the shift lever.
- Pry the end of the shift cable from the transmission control lever ball stud.
- Unlock the adjuster body, release the lock tab on the top side of the cable by pushing down on the 2 tangs.
- Check to be sure the cable moves freely without binding.
- Move the lever on the transmission all the way rearward and then 3 detent positions forward.
- Holding the cable end fitting, push the cable rearward until the end fitting lines up with the manual control lever ball stud.
- Push up on the lock tab to lock the adjuster body in the correctly adjusted position. Be sure the locator tab is properly seated in the bracket.
- Make certain the shift cable is clipped to the floor pan at the white cable mark and the cable is routed into the tunnel.
- Adjust the shift indicator pointer while the transmission is still in the overdrive position.
- Remove the weight and check the control lever in all shift positions.
THROTTLE VALVE LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 5, 6, 7 and 8
ADJUSTMENT AT THE CARBURETOR
The TV control linkage may be adjusted at the carburetor using the following procedure:
- Check that engine idle speed is set at the specification.
- De-cam the fast idle cam on the carburetor so that the throttle lever is at its idle stop. Place shift lever in Neutral , set park brake (engine off).
- Back out the linkage lever adjusting screw all the way (screw end if flush with lever face).
- Turn in adjusting screw until a thin shim (0.005 in. max.) or piece of writing paper fits snugly between end of screw and Throttle Lever. To eliminate effect of friction, push linkage lever forward (tending to close gap) and release before checking clearance between end of screw and throttle lever. Do not apply any load on levers with tools or hands while checking gap.
- Turn in adjusting screw an additional four turns. (Four turns are preferred. Two turns minimum is permissible if screw travel is limited).
- If it is not possible to turn in adjusting screw at least two addition turns or if there was sufficient screw adjusting capacity to obtain an initial gap in Step 2 above, refer to Linkage Adjustment at Transmission. Whenever it is required to adjust idle speed by more than 50 rpm, the adjustment screw on the linkage lever at the carburetor should also be readjusted as shown.
Idle Speed Change/Turns on Linkage Lever Adjustment Screw
After making any idle speed adjustments, always verify the linkage lever and throttle lever are in contact with the throttle lever at its idle stop and the shift lever is in Neutral .ADJUSTMENT AT TRANSMISSION
The linkage lever adjustment screw has limited adjustment capability. It is not possible to adjust the TV linkage using this screw, the length of the TV control rod assembly must be readjusted using the following procedure. This procedure must also be followed whenever a new TV control rod assembly is installed.
This procedure requires placing the vehicle on jackstands to give access to the linkage components at the transmission TV control lever.
- Set the engine curb idle speed to specification.
- With engine off, de-cam the fast idle cam on the carburetor so that the throttle lever is against the idle stop. Place shift lever in Neutral and set park brake (engine off).
- Set the linkage lever adjustment screw at its approximately mid-range.
- If a new TV control rod assembly is being installed, connect the rod to the linkage lever at the carburetor.
- Raise the vehicle on the hoist.
- Using a 13mm box end wrench, loosen the bolt on the sliding trunnion block on the TV control rod assembly. Remove any corrosion from the control rod and free-up the trunnion block so that it slides freely on the control rod. Insert pin into transmission lever grommet.
- Push up on the lower end of the control rod to insure that the linkage lever at carburetor is firmly against the throttle lever. Release force on rod. Rod must stay up.
- Push the TV control lever on the transmission up against its internal stop with a firm force (approximately 5 pounds) and tighten the bolt on the trunnion block. do not relax force on lever until nut is tightened.
- Lower the vehicle and verify that the throttle lever is still against the idle stop. If not, repeat Steps 2 through 9.
THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 9 and 10
ADJUSTMENT WITH ENGINE OFF
- Set the parking brake and put the selector lever in Neutral .
- Remove the protective cover from the cable.
- Make sure that the throttle lever is at the idle stop. If it isn't, check for binding or interference. NEVER ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE IDLE STOP!
- Make sure that the cable is free of sharp bends or is not rubbing on anything throughout its entire length.
- Lubricate the TV lever ball stud with chassis lube.
- Unlock the locking tab at the throttle body by prying with a small screwdriver.
- Install a spring on the TV control lever, to hold it in the rearmost travel position. The spring must exert at least 10 lbs. of force on the lever.
- Rotate the transmission outer TV lever 10-30° and slowly allow it to return.
- Push down on the locking tab until flush.
- Remove the retaining spring from the lever.
THROTTLE KICKDOWN LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
- Move the carburetor throttle linkage to the wide open position.
- Insert a 0.060 in. thick spacer between the throttle lever and the kickdown adjusting screw.
- Rotate the transmission kickdown lever until the lever engages the transmission internal stop. Do not use the kickdown rod to turn the transmission lever.
- Turn the adjusting screw until it contacts the 0.060 in. spacer.
- Remove the spacer.