Don't let gas prices keep you from enjoying a summer vacation with your family and friends. To help ease the pain at the pump, AutoZone and Mobil 1 have compiled gas-saving tips as well as budget-friendly travel recommendations to get you to your destination safely and efficiently.
Did you know that taking a few minutes to perform proactive maintenance and checks on vehicles can actually help improve efficiency and enhance engine performance? Here are a few recommendations:
Keep Your Vehicle Maintained
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy, getting a tune-up when needed can improve a vehicle's gas mileage by up to 4 percent, depending on the maintenance needed.
- Checking and maintaining the proper levels on all fluids can prevent engines from overheating. These fluids include engine oil, transmission fluids and antifreeze/coolant.
- Improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3 percent or up to $0.12 per gallon by keeping your tires inflated at the proper pressure.*
- For maximum performance, power and fuel efficiency, replace spark plugs as recommended by the manufacturer. Spark plugs can affect fuel efficiency, emissions and economy. As spark plugs wear, they do not burn fuel as cleanly, which is why it is important to change spark plugs at the proper interval.
- If the owner's manual has been lost, please visit My Zone, where you can find maintenance schedule for vehicles.
Be Cautious of Your Driving Style*
- Efficient driving practices, such as observing the speed limit and eliminating excess weight, can help get the most out of your tank.
- Gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.31 per gallon for gas.
- An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2 percent. The reduction affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.
- Aggressive idling can use a quarter to a half gallon of fuel per hour, depending on engine size and air conditioning use.
- Aggressive driving - speeding, rapid acceleration and braking - can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town.
- Using products such as Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy motor oil is one important step consumers can take to help save fuel.
- Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy fully synthetic motor oils are engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and provide improved fuel economy. For the everyday driver, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils deliver up to 2% or $0.08 per gallon of fuel.**
- And remember that AutoZone offers free oil recycling. Find the store near you.
Budget-Friendly Vacation Destinations
Now that you've taken care of your vehicle and prepared for summer driving, where should you head to? Here's a list of both budget and family-friendly destinations for you to enjoy this summer.
- Las Vegas, NV
- New Orleans, LA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Portland, OR
- Charlotte, NC
- Chicago, IL
- San Francisco, CA
- Mobile, AL
- San Antonio, TX
- Branson, MO
* Source: fueleconomy.gov. Cost savings are based on an assumed fuel price of $3.87/gallon.
** Comparison based upon 2% potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity. Check your potential fuel savings at www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/home/fuel_calc.html