- Place the steering wheel in the straight ahead position and remove the ignition key.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Place a drain pan under the vehicle and disconnect the power steering lines.
- Release the steering shaft intermediate boot bearing clamp and release the boot from the shaft.
- Retain the bearing boot clamp in the open position.
- Remove the pinch bolt retaining the steering column intermediate shaft coupling.
- Remove the steering gear mounting nuts and bolts.
- Remove the steering gear through the left side of the vehicle. driver-s side of the vehicle.
- Install new O-rings on the power steering line fittings.
- Place the steering gear in the vehicle through the left side.
- Tighten the steering gear mounting bolts and nuts to 86 ft. lbs. (117 Nm).
- Install the pinch bolt retaining the steering column intermediate shaft coupling and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Position the bearing boot in the retention groove so the outer bearing race is not exposed from the groove.
- Install boot bearing clamp and ensure the end tabs do not contact the boot.
- Using new o-rings, install the power steering lines.
- Install the power steering line clamp plate bolt and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the tie rods.
- Install the tie rod end nuts and tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Install the front wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the power steering oil reservoir.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks.
- Check for proper wheel alignment and steering wheel position.