Removal & Installation
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the engine coolant.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Recover the air conditioning refrigerant, into a refrigerant recovery station.
- Place the transmission in neutral and raise the vehicle on a hoist.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Both battery cables
- Position subframe support tool 014-00765 under subframe and powertrain assembly.
- Remove the subframe bolts and rear subframe brackets.
Lower the powertrain and subframe assembly from the vehicle.
- To separate the engine from the transaxle and subframe assembly, disconnect all necessary electrical connectors, fluid lines and starter wiring. Remove the starter and engine roll restrictor brackets
- Install engine lifting eyes no. 134-00243 to the left and right cylinder heads.
- Install lifting brackets no. 303-1140 to front of the engine.
Install an engine hoist and lifting bar no. 303-D089 to the engine.
- Remove the front transaxle stabilizer bolt.
- Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.
- Remove the left and right engine insulator upper nuts.
- Remove the transaxle insulator bracket.
- Using the hoist, lift the powertrain from the subframe.
- Remove the transaxle-to-engine mounting bolts and separate the engine and transaxle.
- Position the engine onto the transaxle and install the transaxle mount bolts. Torque the bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the exhaust manifold heat shield.
- Using the hoist, position the powertrain to the subframe.
- Install the left and right engine insulator upper nuts and tighten to 62 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- Install the front transaxle stabilizer bolt and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the transaxle insulator bracket and tighten the bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Install the starter and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Connect the starter wiring and terminal cover.
- Apply thread lock to the roll restrictor bolts and install the restrictor bracket and tighten the bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Reconnect all necessary electrical connectors, fluid lines and retainers.
- Remove the engine hoist and lifting tools.
- Using subframe support tool 014-00765, raise the subframe and powertrain assembly into the vehicle
- Install the front subframe bolts and tighten the bolts to 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm).
- Install the rear subframe brackets. Tighten the large bolts to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm), and the smaller bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Connect the steering column intermediate shaft and tighten the pinch bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the outer tie rod ends to the steering knuckles and tighten NEW nuts to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- Install the stabilizer bar links to the struts using NEW nuts and tighten to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Install the driveshaft and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the driveshaft support bracket bolts and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
NEW torque converter attaching nuts and tighten to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm)
- Refill the engine, transaxle and cooling system with the correct amount of the appropriate fluids before starting the engine. Recharge the A/C system using approved recycling equipment.