Do not carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable vapors are always present and can ignite. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
Do not carry personal electronic devices such as cell phones, pagers or audio equipment of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.
This procedure involves fuel handling. Be prepared for spillage at all times and always observe fuel handling precautions. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
For all vehicles:
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
- Release the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the fuel tank.
For All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles:
Remove the rear driveshaft.
NOTEFollow the remaining steps for all vehicles:
- Remove the rear driveshaft.
- Remove the muffler.
Disconnect the fuel vapor control tube assembly valve-to-fuel vapor tube quick connect coupling.
CAUTIONThe fuel tubes and fuel filter may have some fuel remaining within after the fuel system pressure is released. Upon disconnecting the fuel supply tubes or removing the fuel filter, carefully drain the residual fuel into a suitable container.
- Disconnect the fuel supply tube-to-fuel filter quick connect coupling.
- Disconnect the fuel vapor tube-to-fuel vapor control tube assembly valve quick connect coupling.
- Disconnect the fuel tank wiring harness electrical connector at the rear of the fuel tank.
Release the fuel tank filler pipe hose clamp.
CAUTIONThe fuel tank filler pipe may have some residual fuel remaining in it after draining. Upon disconnecting the fuel tank filler pipe hose, carefully drain the residual fuel into a suitable container
- Remove the fuel tank filler pipe hose from the fuel tank.
- Place a suitable lifting device under the fuel tank.
Remove the 2 front fuel tank strap bolts.
NOTEDo not bend the fuel tank straps.
- Loosen the 2 rear fuel tank strap bolts and position the 2 fuel tank straps aside.
- Lower the fuel tank enough to move forward, clear of the fuel straps then complete the lowering procedure.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the following:
- Fuel tank strap bolts: 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Fuel tank filler pipe hose clamp: 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).