Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.
Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel causing personal injury or a fire hazard.
- With vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist..
- Release the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the fuel tank.
Disconnect the fuel filler pipe hose clamp.
CAUTIONSome fuel will remain in the fuel filler pipe after draining the fuel tank. Carefully drain the filler pipe into an appropriate container.
- Disconnect the fuel filler pipe hose from the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the fuel pump module electrical connector.
- Disconnect the fuel supply tube and vapor tube quick connect coupling.
- Remove the center fuel tank strap bolt and the center strap.
- Position a suitable lifting device in contact, under the fuel tank.
- Remove the remaining 2 fuel tank strap bolts and the straps.
- Using a suitable lifting device, lower the fuel tank.
- Using a suitable lifting device, raise the fuel tank into position.
- Install the 2 outer fuel tank straps and the bolts. Tighten bolts to 35 ft. lbs (48 Nm).
- Remove the lifting device and install the center fuel tank strap and the bolt.
- Tighten bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Connect the fuel supply tube and vapor tube quick connect coupling.
- Connect the fuel pump module electrical connector.
- Connect the fuel filler pipe hose to the fuel tank and tighten the clamp.
- Connect the negative battery cable.