Removal & Installation
Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. If brake fluid contacts eyes, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If taken internally, drink water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.
Electronic modules are sensitive to electrical charges. The ABS module can be damaged if exposed to these charges.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Remove the 3 pin-type retainers and the ABS splash shield.
NOTEBrake lines must be re-installed in the same location as removed.
- Loosen the brake line-to-Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) fittings and position the brake lines aside.
- Disconnect the HCU electrical connector.
- Remove the 3 HCU bracket-to-frame bolts.
Remove the 2 bracket-to-HCU bolts, then remove the HCU.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Please note the following tightening specifications:
- Brake line fittings: 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm)
- HCU bracket-to-frame bolts: 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm)
- HCU bracket-to-HCU bolts: 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm)
- Bleed the brake system, as outlined in this section