ABS Verification Test
Jeep Compass 2007-2009
Jeep Patriot 2007-2009
- Turn the ignition OFF .
- Connect all previously disconnected components and connectors.
- Ensure all accessories are turned off and the battery is fully charged.
- Ensure that the ignition is ON, and with the scan tool, erase all DTC-s from all modules.
- Start the engine and allow it to run for 2 minutes and fully operate the system that was malfunctioning.
- Turn the ignition OFF and wait 5 seconds. Turn the ignition ON , and using the scan tool, read any DTC-s from all modules.
If any DTC-s are present, return to the symptom list and troubleshoot new or recurring symptom(s).
NOTEFor Sensor Signal and Pump Motor faults, the ABM must sense all 4 wheels at 7.5 mph (12 km/h) before it will extinguish the ABS indicator.
- If there are no DTC-s present after turning ignition ON , road test the vehicle for at least 5 minutes. Perform several antilock braking stops.
- Again, with the scan tool, read any DTC-s. If any DTC-s are present, refer to the Table of Contents in the applicable section for the diagnostic test procedure and troubleshoot the new or recurring symptom(s).
- If there are no DTC-s present, and the concerns can no longer be duplicated, the repair is complete.
Removal & Installation
Jeep Compass 2007-2009
Jeep Patriot 2007-2009
The Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) (2) and the Antilock Brake Module (ABM) (1) used with this Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) are combined (integrated) into one unit, which is called the Integrated Control Unit (ICU).
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery and isolate it.
- Using a brake pedal holding tool, depress the brake pedal past its first 1 inch (25mm) of travel and hold it in this position. This will isolate the master cylinder from the brake hydraulic system and will not allow the brake fluid to drain out of the master cylinder reservoir while the lines are disconnected.
- Remove the engine appearance cover.
- Loosen the lower and upper mounting nuts, then remove the exhaust heat shield from the dash panel.
- Pull the brake tube bundle routing clips loose (with tubes) from the studs on the dash panel.
- Remove the primary (4) and secondary (1) brake tubes (from the master cylinder) at the HCU (7).
Remove the remaining chassis brake tubes (2, 3, 5, 6) at the HCU (7).
- Remove the screw fastening the power steering pressure hose routing clamp to the exhaust manifold.
- Disconnect the ABM harness connector from the Antilock Brake Module (ABM).
- Loosen, but do not remove, the 2 mounting screws (2) attaching the ICU (1) mounting bracket to the body.
- Lift the ICU and the mounting bracket (1) off the mounting screws (2).
Move the brake tubes around as necessary (without bending them) and remove the ICU with the bracket through the opening between the A/C lines and the exhaust manifold.
- Install the ICU with the bracket (1) through the opening between the A/C lines and the exhaust manifold using the opposite of how it was removed.
Place the mounting bracket for the ICU (1) over the mounting screws (2) and hang the assembly in place. Tighten the 2 mounting screws (2) to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
NOTEBefore installing the ABM harness connector on the ABM, be sure the seal is properly installed in the connector.
- Insert the ABM wiring harness connector (2) into the socket of the ABM (1) and close the cover, locking the connector in place.
- Install the 4 chassis brake tubes (2, 3, 5, 6) at the ICU hydraulic control unit (7). Tighten the tube nuts to 150 inch lbs. (17 Nm).
- Install the primary (4) and secondary (1) brake tubes at the ICU hydraulic control unit (7). Tighten the tube nuts to 150 inch lbs. (17 Nm).
- Position the power steering pressure hose routing clamp on the exhaust manifold and install the mounting screw. Tighten the mounting screw to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Push the brake tube bundle routing clips (with tubes) onto the studs on the dash panel.
- Install the heat shield on the dash panel and tighten the lower and upper mounting nuts.
- Remove the brake pedal holding tool.
- Install the engine appearance cover.
- Connect the battery negative cable to the battery post.
Hook up the scan tool to initialize the ABM and perform the following:
- Clear any faults.
- Fill the master cylinder to the proper fill level and bleed the base and ABS hydraulic systems.
- Check for leaks.
- Perform the ABS Verification Test and road test the vehicle.