Removal & Installation
Jeep Compass 2007-2009
Jeep Patriot 2007-2009
The normal operating temperature of the exhaust system is very high. Therefore, never work around or attempt to service any part of the exhaust system until it is cooled. Special care should be taken when working near the catalytic converter. The temperature of the converter rises to a high level after a short period of engine operating time.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Apply penetrating oil to the band clamp fastener of the component being removed.
WARNINGDo not use petroleum-based lubricants when removing/installing muffler or exhaust pipe isolators as it may compromise the life of the part. A suitable substitute is a mixture of liquid dish soap and water.
- Remove the I-Pipe/Muffler assembly.
Disconnect the oxygen sensor electrical connectors.
NOTEIf the spherical gasket is to be reused, mark its orientation.
- Remove the flange bolts (3), springs, and spherical gasket.
- Remove the under floor catalytic converter (4) from the maniverter or catalytic converter assembly (1).
Clean the ends of the pipes to assure the mating of all the parts. Discard broken or worn isolators, rusted or overused clamps, supports, and attaching parts.
NOTEWhen replacement is required on any component of the exhaust system, use original equipment parts, or an equivalent.