Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the transaxle assembly. Refer to Automatic or Manual Transaxle Assembly, removal & installation.
- Remove the flexplate.
flat-bladed screwdriver (7) between the dust lip (8) and the metal case (4) of the crankshaft seal (1). Angle the screwdriver through the dust lip against the metal case of the seal. Pry out the seal.
WARNINGDo not permit the screwdriver blade to contact the crankshaft seal surface. Contact of the screwdriver blade against the crankshaft edge (chamfer) is permitted.
Check to make sure the seal garter spring is not on the crankshaft.
If a burr or scratch is present on the crankshaft edge (chamfer), cleanup with 800 emery cloth to prevent seal damage during installation of the new seal. If emery cloth is used, the crankshaft must be cleaned off with MOPAR® brake parts cleaner, or equivalent.
When installing the rear main seal, lubricate Seal Guide 9509 with clean engine oil.
- Lightly coat Special Tool 9509 Seal Guide with clean engine oil. Place the seal guide on the crankshaft.
- Position the seal (2) over the guide tool. The guide tool should remain on the crankshaft during installation of the seal. Ensure that the lip of the seal is facing towards the crankcase during installation.
- Drive the seal into the block using Seal Driver 9706 (1) and Driver Handle C-4171 (4) until Seal Driver 9706 bottoms out against the block.
- Install the flexplate. Tighten the new bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
Install the transaxle assembly. Refer to Automatic or Manual Transaxle Assembly, removal & installation.