The engine must be cold to measure the valve lash.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the cylinder head cover. Refer to Valve Covers, removal & installation.
Rotate the camshaft so the lobes are vertical.
- Check the clearance using feeler gauges.
- Repeat this procedure for all of the valve tappets and record the readings.
If the clearance was outside the required specification:
- Remove the camshaft. Refer to Camshaft and Valve Lifters, removal & installation.
- If the clearance was too large or too small, increase or decrease the tappet thickness by the necessary amount.
- Install the camshafts and verify that the valve lash is correct.
- Install the cylinder head cover. Refer to Valve Covers, removal & installation.