- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disable the air bag system.
- Recover the refrigerant from the HVAC system.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the heat shield located on the dash panel in the engine compartment.
- Remove the bolt that secures the A/C liquid and suction line assembly to the A/C evaporator.
Disconnect the A/C liquid and suction line assembly from the A/C evaporator and remove and discard the dual-plane seals.
- Cap the opened refrigerant line fittings and the evaporator ports.
- Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes to prevent coolant spillage during housing removal.
Remove the instrument panel as follows:
- Remove the floor console.
- Remove the shift mechanism.
- Remove the side cowl panels.
- Remove the passenger side air bag.
- Using a trim stick, separate the snap clips and remove the steering column opening cover.
- Remove the screws and remove the steering column reinforcement.
- Using a trim stick, remove the upper trim cover over the center bezel and radio.
- Remove the compass module from under the upper cover.
- Remove the HVAC housing-to-instrument panel screws.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors from the A-pillar.
Remove the passenger side end cap and remove the support bolts.
- Remove the passenger side silencer pad.
- Disconnect the radio antenna.
- Disconnect the HVAC wiring harness connectors.
Remove the fence line bolts from the upper cowl panel.
- Separate the center wiring harness.
- Disconnect the main wiring harness connectors at the driver-s side cowl.
- Disconnect the wiring harness connectors at the driver-s side A-pillar.
- Remove the center support bolts.
Remove the end cap and remove the driver-s side support bolts.
Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
- Remove the rear floor ducts.
- Remove the condensation drain tube.
- Remove the nut that secures the passenger side of the HVAC housing to the dash panel.
- Pull the HVAC housing rearward and remove the HVAC housing assembly from the passenger compartment.
- Remove the left side front floor duct.
- Remove the foam seal from the flange located on the front of the HVAC housing.
- Remove the screw that secures the flange to the front of the HVAC housing and remove the flange.
- Remove the screw that secures the retaining bracket for the heater core tubes to the left side of the air distribution housing.
Carefully pull the heater core out of the driver-s side of the air distribution housing.
- Carefully install the heater core into the left side of the air distribution housing.
- Install the retaining bracket that secures the heater core tubes. Tighten the screw to 10 inch lbs. (1 Nm).
- Install the flange that secures the heater core tubes to the front of the HVAC housing.
- Tighten the screw that secures the flange to the HVAC housing to 10 inch lbs. (1 Nm).
- Install the foam seal onto the flange.
- Installation is the reverse order of the removal process.
- If the heater core was replaced, the cooling system must be flushed.
- Charge the refrigerant system.
- Refill the cooling system to the correct level.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.