Removal & Installation
Jeep Compass 2007-2009
Jeep Patriot 2007-2009
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Lift the rear wiper arm (3) to hold the wiper blade (5) off of the glass and relieve the spring tension on the wiper arm to output shaft connection.
- Carefully pry the plastic nut cap (1) off of the pivot end of the wiper arm.
Remove the nut (2) that secures the wiper arm to the rear wiper motor output shaft (4).
WARNINGThe use of a battery terminal puller when removing the rear wiper arm is NOT recommended as this may damage the rear wiper arm.
Use a slight rocking action to disengage the rear wiper arm pivot end from the output shaft and remove the wiper arm.
Using a trim stick C-4755, or equivalent, separate the clip fasteners (2) and remove the upper trim (1).
- Using a trim stick C-4755, or equivalent, separate the liftgate trim panel, liftgate trim, and speaker panel from the clip fasteners and remove the side trim panels.
- Remove the screws (2).
- Open the speaker panel assembly and remove the screws (1).
Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the speaker panel assembly.
- Disconnect the liftgate wire harness connector (2) from the rear wiper motor (4).
- Remove the three screws (3) that secure the motor mounting bracket to the U-nuts (5) on the liftgate inner panel.
- Pull the wiper motor forward far enough to disengage the output shaft from the rubber grommet (1) in the liftgate glass.
- Remove the motor from the liftgate.
Remove the rubber grommet from the output shaft clearance hole in the liftgate glass and discard.
- Install a new rubber grommet (1) into the rear wiper motor output shaft clearance hole located in the liftgate glass. Always use a new rubber grommet in the glass.
Check to be certain that the 3 U-nuts are properly installed and in good condition in the liftgate inner panel.
WARNINGA new replacement rear wiper motor is shipped with a rubber lubricant applied to the motor output shaft where it contacts the rubber grommet in the liftgate glass. If a rear wiper motor is removed then reinstalled, an appropriate rubber lubricant (MOPAR® Nye Synthetic Lubricant-also known as Fluorocarbon Gel 880 Synthetic Lubricant) must be applied to the motor output shaft in the area just below the taper where the shaft will contact the grommet before the motor is reinstalled. Failure to comply with this caution can result in premature grommet failure, excessive motor loads, and water leaks.
- Insert the rear wiper motor (4) output shaft through the rubber grommet (1) in the liftgate glass.
- Position the rear wiper motor and mounting bracket to the U-nuts (5) in the liftgate inner panel as a unit.
- Install and tighten the 3 screws (3) that secure the motor mounting bracket to the liftgate. Tighten the screws to 62 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
- Connect the liftgate wire harness connector (2) to the wiper motor connector receptacle.
Install the trim onto the liftgate inner panel in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
NOTEBe certain that the rear wiper motor is in the park position before attempting to install the rear wiper arm. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and move the rear wiper switch to its OFF position. If the wiper motor output shaft moves, wait until it stops moving, then turn the ignition switch back to the OFF position. The wiper motor is now in its park position.
- The rear wiper arm (3) must be indexed to the motor output shaft (4) with the rear wiper motor in the park position to be properly installed. Position the wiper arm pivot end onto the output shaft so that the wiper blade (5) is aligned with the lowest horizontal line of the rear window defogger grid.
- With the rear wiper arm properly indexed, push the tapered mounting hole on the pivot end of the wiper arm down over the output shaft.
- Install and tighten the nut (2) that secures the rear wiper arm to the rear wiper motor output shaft. Tighten the nut to 84 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Wet the liftgate glass and operate the rear wiper. Turn the rear wiper switch to the OFF position, then check for correct wiper arm position and readjust, as required.
- Install the plastic nut cap over the nut on the pivot end of the rear wiper arm.
Jeep Compass 2007-2009
Jeep Patriot 2007-2009
The front and rear washer systems share the same washer pump motor. Refer to Window Wiper & Washers, Removal & Installation, Front Wiper Washer.