Removal & Installation
Do not apply pressure to, or pry on, the plastic drive link bushings. When removing the drive link from, or installing the drive link to the ball stud on the wiper motor crank arm, apply pressure to, or pry on, only the metal portions of the drive link around the bushing. If the bushing is damaged, the entire front wiper module MUST be replaced.
Do not remove the crank arm nut from the wiper motor output shaft. The crank arm is indexed to the output shaft with the motor in the park position during the manufacturing process and there are no provisions made for correctly indexing this connection in the field. If the crank arm-to-output shaft indexing is incorrect, the entire front wiper module MUST be replaced.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove both front wiper arms from the wiper pivots.
Remove the cowl plenum cover/grille panel from over the front wiper module.
Disengage the routing clip from the stud in the cowl plenum and disconnect the wire harness (1) connector (2) from the connector receptacle for the front wiper motor (3).
- Remove the 2 screws (2) that secure the ends of the front wiper module bracket (3) to the stamped brackets (1) within the cowl plenum.
- Pull the front wiper module inboard far enough to disengage the knob-like rubber isolator from the slotted bracket (4) on the forward wall of the cowl plenum.
Remove the front wiper module from the cowl plenum as a unit.
- Disengage the socket bushing (3) of the passenger side wiper drive link from the ball stud on the wiper motor crank arm (4) using two large screwdrivers, one on each side of the ball stud. Pry firmly and evenly between the crank arm and the metal portion of the drive link until the socket unsnaps from the ball.
Remove the sleeve bushing (2) of the driver side wiper drive link from the ball stud on the wiper motor crank arm.
- Remove the 2 screws (2) that secure the motor bracket (4) to the module bracket (1).
Remove the wiper motor and crank arm unit (5) from the underside of the module bracket.
- Position the front wiper motor and crank arm unit (5) to the underside of the front wiper module bracket (1).
- Install and tighten the 2 screws (2) into the 2 nuts (3) that secure the motor bracket (4) to the module bracket. Tighten the screws to 66 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Position the sleeve bushing of the driver side wiper drive link onto the ball stud on the end of the motor crank arm.
- Position the socket bushing of the passenger side wiper drive link over the ball stud on the crank arm.
Place a short
inch (19mm) socket over the domed cap side of the socket bushing as an installation tool. Use a large locking pliers to firmly and evenly apply enough pressure to the underside of the crank arm and the top of the socket installation tool to snap the bushing onto the ball stud. Do not apply pressure directly to the plastic bushings.
NOTEBe certain to turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then turn the front wiper switch ON and OFF again to cycle the wiper motor and linkage to their natural park position before reinstalling the front wiper arms onto the wiper pivots.
- Reinstall the front wiper module into the vehicle.
- Connect the battery negative cable.