The Output Speed Sensor is a two-wire magnetic pickup devices that generate AC signals as rotation occurs. The Output Speed Sensor generates an AC signal in a similar fashion, though its coil is excited by rotation of the rear planetary carrier lugs. The TCM interprets this information as output shaft rpm.
Removal & Installation
- Raise the vehicle.
- Place a suitable fluid catch pan under the transmission.
Remove the wiring connector from the output speed sensor.
NOTEThe speed sensor bolt has a sealing patch applied from the factory. Be sure to reuse the same bolt.
- Remove the bolt holding the output speed sensor to the transmission case.
- Remove the output speed sensor from the transmission case.
- Install the output speed sensor into the transmission case.
- Install the bolt to hold the output speed sensor into the transmission case. Tighten the bolt to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the wiring connector onto the output speed sensor.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Verify the transmission fluid level. Add fluid as necessary.
- Start the engine in park.
Raise the drive wheels off of the ground.
CAUTIONProperly support the vehicle. Be sure to keep hands and feet clear of rotating wheels. Firmly apply the brakes and place the transmission selector in drive.
- Release the brakes and allow the drive wheels to spin freely.
- With the scan tool, read the output rpm.
- Is the Output rpm below 100.
- Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM.
NOTERemoval of the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.
CAUTIONThe Ignition Switch Feed fuse must be removed from the TIPM. Failure to do so can result in personal injury or death.
- Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool number 8333 and the Electronic Transmission Adapter kit.
- Ignition on, engine not running
- With the Transmission Simulator, set the "Input/Output Speed" switch to "ON" and the rotary switch to the "3000/1250" position.
- With the scan tool , read the Input and Output rpm.
- If the input rpm reads 3000 and the output rpm reads 1250 (within 50 rpm). Replace the Output Speed Sensor (OSS)