Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Place gearshift lever in NEUTRAL and raise vehicle on hoist.
- Remove driveshaft heat shield.
- Apply alignment index marks on the driveshaft and front axle flanges.
- Remove four front driveshaft-to-axle flange bolts.
- Apply alignment index marks on the driveshaft and transfer case flanges.
- Remove four front driveshaft-to-transfer case flange bolts.
- Remove the driveshaft assembly.
- Install the driveshaft into position.
- Starting at transfer case end, align index marks. Install driveshaft-to-transfer case flange bolts.
- Align index marks at front axle end of shaft, and loose-install driveshaft-to-front axle flange bolts.
- Torque driveshaft-to-transfer case and axle flange bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install driveshaft heat shield.
- Lower the vehicle.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
WARNINGDriveshaft removal is a 2-person operation. Never allow driveshaft to hang from the center bearing, or while only connected to the transmission or rear axle flanges. A helper is required. If a driveshaft section is hung unsupported, damage may occur to the shaft, coupler, and/or center bearing from over-angulations. This may result in driveline vibrations and/or component failure.
- With vehicle in neutral, position on hoist.
- Apply alignment index marks on the transmission and axle flanges and rubber couplers.
- Remove crossmember.
- Remove rear exhaust system.
Remove heat shield.
- Remove driveshaft front coupler-to-flange bolts.
- Remove driveshaft rear coupler-to-flange bolts.
- Remove center bearing mounting bolts.
With the aid of a helper, remove driveshaft assembly.
- Remove three coupler-to-driveshaft bolt/nuts.
- Separate coupler and damper (if equipped) from driveshaft. Note orientation and direction of components. It is imperative that they are properly reinstalled.
- If coupler and/or damper (V6 Models) were removed, align index marks and reinstall. Make sure protruding sleeve is properly seated into driveshaft or damper counter bores.
- Install three bolts with washers and nuts and torque to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Obtain helper and install driveshaft into position at axle. Align index marks placed upon removal. Install driveshaft rear coupler-to-axle flange bolt/nuts by hand. Do not torque at this time.
- Install driveshaft into position at transmission flange. Align index marks placed upon removal. Install driveshaft front coupler-to-transmission flange bolt/nuts by hand. Do not torque at this time.
- Loosely install center bearing-to-body bolts. Do not torque at this time.
- Torque driveshaft front coupler-to-transmission flange bolt/nuts to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm)
Torque driveshaft rear coupler-to-axle flange bolt/nuts to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm)
NOTENote: It is necessary to compress rear suspension to ride height before securing center bearing to body. Failure to compress suspension may result in objectionable noise and premature bearing wear.
- Compress rear suspension with suitable jackstands.
- Torque center bearing-to-body bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install heat shield.
- Install rear exhaust system.
- Install the crossmember.