Removal & Installation
2.7L & 3.5L Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove splash shield retaining bolts and splash shield.
- Remove the structural collar.
- Remove transmission
- Remove flex plate attaching bolts, backing plate and flex plate.
Remove oil pan.
NOTEThe integrated stamped steel rear crankshaft seal is not interchangeable with the cast aluminum rear seal adapter and seal assembly.
- Remove seal retainer attaching screws.
Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal/adapter.
Clean all sealing surfaces.
- Install seal assembly using special tool 6926-1.
Install seal retaining bolts finger tight.
NOTEThe following steps must be performed to prevent oil leaks at sealing joints.
Attach Special Tools 8225 to pan rail using the oil pan fasteners.
NOTEMake sure that the -2.7L- stamped on the special tool is facing the cylinder block (flat side of tools against pan rail).
- While applying firm pressure to the seal assembly against Special Tools 8225, tighten seal assembly screws to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Remove special tool 8225.
- Install oil pan.
- Install flex plate, backing plate, and attaching bolts.
- Install transmission.
- Install lower splash shield retaining bolts and splash shield.
- Lower vehicle.
- Fill with oil.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
NOTEThis procedure can be performed in vehicle.
- If being performed in vehicle, remove the transmission.
Remove the flexplate.
NOTEThe crankshaft oil seal cannot be reused after removal.
NOTEThe crankshaft rear oil seal remover Special Tool 8506 must be installed deeply into the seal. Continue to tighten the removal tool into the seal until the tool cannot be turned farther. Failure to install tool correctly the first time will cause tool to pull free of seal without removing seal from engine.
Using Special Tool 8506 (1), remove the crankshaft rear oil seal (2).
- Position the plastic seal guide (2) onto the crankshaft rear face. Then position the crankshaft rear oil seal (3) onto the guide.
- Using Special Tools 8349 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Installer (1) and C-4171 Driver Handle, with a hammer, tap the seal (3) into place. Continue to tap on the driver handle until the seal installer seats against the cylinder block crankshaft bore.
- Install the flexplate.
- Install the transmission.