Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove both front halfshafts.
- Remove front intermediate shaft assembly.
Remove front driveshaft.
CAUTIONThe normal operating temperature of the exhaust system is very high. therefore, never work around or attempt to service any part of the exhaust system until it is cooled. special care should be taken when working near the catalytic converter. The temperature of the converter rises to a high level after a short period of engine operation time.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect downstream oxygen sensor connectors.
- Remove muffler and resonator.
- On 2.7L or 3.5L engine, remove nuts and cross-brace.
- Remove catalytic converter to ball flange nuts.
- Remove catalytic converter.
Remove nuts and tunnel reinforcement.
- With a 5.7L engine, remove left side resonator and tailpipe assembly.
- Remove isolators.
- Remove muffler and tailpipe assembly by twisting/turning while pulling assembly out of catalytic converters.
Separate power steering return line from cradle by unfastening clips.
- Remove front axle housing support bracket (1).
- Remove seven front axle assembly-to-oil pan bolts.
- Remove axle assembly (1) from vehicle.
- Install front axle assembly) into position. Install and torque seven bolts to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
- Install power steering return line to cradle by fastening clips.
- Install axle assembly support bracket and torque bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install catalytic converter onto exhaust manifold ball flange. Only finger tighten nuts at this time.
- Install muffler and resonator assembly.
- Position front exhaust pipe module clamps on exhaust pipe assembly.
Install exhaust pipe assembly into catalytic converters.
NOTEIsolators will have an approximately 10° forward angle when installed.
- Install isolators.
With a 5.7L engine, install left side rear resonator and tailpipe assembly.
NOTECheck for proper alignment and clearance to underbody and engine compartment components before tightening clamps.
- Tighten band clamps to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install tunnel reinforcement and nuts. Tighten nuts to 215 inch lbs. (25 Nm)
- Check clearance between muffler and resonator assembly and fuel tank. Clearance is 14mm (0.55 in.) for V8 engine and 16mm (0.62 in.) for V6 engine.
- Check clearance at rear tunnel reinforcement. Clearance should be 15-20mm (0.59-0.78 in.).
- The tailpipe should be centered in the rear fascia opening.
- Adjust clearance as necessary.
- Lower vehicle.
- Start the engine and inspect for exhaust leaks. Repair exhaust leaks as necessary.
- Install front driveshaft.
- Install intermediate shaft.
- Install both front halfshafts.
- Fill axle with 600ml (0.64 qts.) of Mopar® 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lubricant. Fluid level should be at or near bottom of fill hole. Torque fill plug to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Lower vehicle.