Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable.
- Drain cooling system.
- Remove timing chain cover.
Re-install the vibration damper bolt finger tight. Using a suitable socket and breaker bar, rotate the crankshaft to align timing chain sprockets and keyways as shown.
WARNINGThe camshaft pin and the slot in the cam sprocket must be positioned at 12:00 (2). The crankshaft keyway must be positioned at 2:00 (3). The crankshaft sprocket must be installed so that the dots and or paint marking is at 6:00.
- Retract tensioner shoe until hole in shoe lines up with hole in bracket.
- Slide a suitable pin into the holes.
- Remove camshaft sprocket attaching bolt and remove timing chain with crankshaft and camshaft sprockets.
- If tensioner assembly is to be replaced, remove the tensioner to block bolts and remove tensioner assembly.
- If tensioner assembly is being replaced, install tensioner and mounting bolts. Torque bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
Retract tensioner if required.
WARNINGThe timing chain must be installed with the single plated link aligned with the dot and or paint marking on the camshaft sprocket. The crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the dot and or paint marking on the sprocket between two plated timing chain links.
WARNINGThe camshaft pin and the slot in the cam sprocket must be clocked at 12:00. The crankshaft keyway must be clocked at 2:00. The crankshaft sprocket must be installed so that the dots and or paint marking is at 6:00.
- Place both camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket on the bench with timing marks on exact imaginary center line through both camshaft and crankshaft bores.
- Place timing chain around both sprockets.
- Lift sprockets and chain. Keep sprockets tight against the chain.
- Slide both sprockets evenly over their respective shafts and check alignment of timing marks.
- Install the camshaft bolt. Tighten the bolt to 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm) torque.
- Remove tensioner pin. Again, verify alignment of timing marks.
- Install the oil pump.
- Install the oil pan and pick up.
- Install the timing chain cover
- Refill engine oil.
- Fill cooling system.
- Connect battery negative cable.
- Start engine and check for oil and coolant leaks.