Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
The strut assembly must be removed from vehicle for it to be disassembled and assembled. For strut assembly disassembly and assembly, use of strut Spring Compressor, Pentastar Service Equipment (PSE) tool W-7200, or equivalent, is recommended to compress coil spring. Follow manufacturer-s instructions closely.
Position strut assembly coil spring on hooks of compressor following manufacturer-s instructions. Install clamp securing strut to lower spring coil.
- Position compressor upper hooks on upper coil spring following manufacturer-s instructions. To ease installation, rotate strut as necessary positioning strut in compressor so that upper spring coil ends (step in upper mount) at straight outward position from compressor.
Compress coil spring until all spring tension is removed from upper mount.
- Position Wrench (2), Special Tool 9362, on strut shaft (1) retaining nut. Next, insert 8mm socket though wrench onto hex located on end of strut shaft. While holding strut shaft from turning, remove nut from strut shaft using wrench.
Remove clamp from bottom of coil spring and remove strut and lower isolator out through bottom of coil spring.
Remove upper mount from strut shaft and coil spring.
NOTEPrior to removing spring from compressor, note location of lower spring coil end in relationship to compressor to ease assembly of components later.
- Back off compressor drive, releasing tension from coil spring. Push back compressor upper hooks and remove coil spring from compressor.
- Remove jounce bumper from strut shaft by pulling straight up and off.
- Remove lower isolator from strut body by pulling straight up and off strut shaft.
Inspect strut assembly components for following and replace as necessary:
Inspect strut for any condition of shaft binding over full stroke of shaft.
Place coil spring (part number tag end upward) in compressor lower hooks following manufacturer-s instructions. To ease strut reassembly, rotate coil spring around until upper coil ends at straight outward position from compressor. Proper orientation of spring to upper mount (once installed) is necessary.
- Position compressor upper hooks over coil spring following manufacturer-s instructions.
- Compress coil spring far enough to allow strut installation.
- If separated, install upper mount onto coil spring. Match step in upper isolator to end of spring coil.
- Install lower spring isolator on strut body.
Install jounce bumper on strut shaft, small end first.
- Install strut through bottom of coil spring until lower spring isolator (on strut) contacts lower end of coil spring. Match step built into isolator to lower coil end. Once in this position, stabilizer bar bracket, or clevis key on AWD models, should point straight inward toward compressor body. If not, rotate isolator on strut body until alignment is achieved when isolator is correctly positioned with lower spring coil.
- Install clamp to hold strut and coil spring together.
- Install retaining nut on strut shaft as far as possible by hand. Make sure nut is installed far enough for 8mm socket to grasp hex on end of shaft for tightening.
- Install Wrench (on end of a torque wrench), Special Tool 9362, on strut shaft retaining nut. Next, insert 8mm socket though wrench onto hex located on end of strut shaft. While holding strut shaft from turning, tighten nut using wrench to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) torque.
- Slowly release tension from coil spring by backing off compressor drive fully. As tension is relieved, make sure strut components are properly in place.
- Remove clamp from lower end of coil spring and strut. Push back spring compressor upper and lower hooks, then remove strut assembly from spring compressor.
- Install strut assembly on vehicle.