Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable from battery post.
- Using a brake pedal holding tool, depress brake pedal past its first inch of travel and hold it in this position. Holding pedal in this position will isolate master cylinder from hydraulic brake system and will not allow brake fluid to drain out of brake fluid reservoir while brake lines are open.
- Raise and support vehicle.
Remove wheel mounting nuts, then tire and wheel assembly.
Remove banjo bolt connecting flexible brake hose to caliper. There are two sealing washers (one on each side of hose fitting) that will come off when bolt is removed. Discard these washers; install NEW washers on installation.
- While holding guide pins from turning, remove caliper guide pin bolts.
- Remove brake caliper from brake adapter and pads.
Completely retract caliper piston back into bore of caliper. Use hand pressure or a C-clamp may be used to retract piston, first placing a wood block over piston before installing C-clamp to avoid damaging piston.
WARNINGUse care when installing caliper onto disc brake adapter to avoid damaging boots on caliper guide pins.
- Push caliper guide pins into caliper adapter to clear caliper mounting bosses when installing.
Slide caliper over brake pads and onto caliper adapter.
WARNINGExtreme caution should be taken not to cross-thread caliper guide pin bolts when they are installed.
- Align caliper mounting holes with guide pins, then install guide pin bolts. While holding guide pins from turning, tighten bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm) torque.
- Install banjo bolt attaching brake hose to caliper. Install NEW washers on each side of hose fitting as banjo bolt is placed through fitting. Thread banjo bolt into caliper and tighten to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Install tire and wheel assembly. Tighten wheel mounting nuts to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Lower vehicle.
- Remove brake pedal holding tool.
- Connect battery negative cable to battery post. It is important that this is performed properly.
- Bleed base brake hydraulic system as necessary.
- Road test vehicle making several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake shoes.