Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Unclip wheel speed sensor cable at rear brake rotor shield.
- Remove screw fastening sensor head to rear knuckle.
- Remove wheel speed sensor head from knuckle.
- Remove rear hub and bearing.
- Remove parking brake shoes.
- If not removed, remove parking brake shoe actuator lever from end of cable.
- Remove shoe support from knuckle.
- Remove parking brake cable screw at knuckle and pull cable out of knuckle.
- Position under-hoist utility jack or jackstand under spring link. Raise jack head to contact spring link at shock mount secure in place.
Remove spring link-to-knuckle nut and bolt.
WARNINGIt important to use Guide, Special Tool 9361-2, when tapping sleeve in knuckle to help keep Tap, Special Tool 9361-1, straight during use or damage to Tap may occur.
Place Guide 9361-2 against sleeve in knuckle to keep Tap 9361-1 straight. Using Tap with an appropriate handle, cut threads approximately halfway through bushing (or about six complete threads). It is important to back tap out, clean out burrs and lubricate Tap often during process.
NOTEPrior to using Special Tool 9361, lubricate Bolt (1) threads to provide ease of use and promote tool longevity.
NOTEWhen installing thrust bearing on Remover, be sure to place hardened side against nut.
NOTEIt is important to use appropriate Sleeve on Remover to provide proper Tool-to-Knuckle contact. RWD sleeve can be used on either side while AWD knuckles require specific left or right side Sleeves.
- Thread Remover Bolt 9361-3 into tapped knuckle sleeve.
- Rotate Nut down, matching Sleeve angled end with angled face of knuckle.
- Continue to rotate Nut until knuckle sleeve is removed from knuckle. Discard knuckle sleeve; replace it with new upon installation.
- Remove bolt and nut fastening compression link to knuckle.
- Remove bolt fastening toe link to knuckle.
- Remove nut and bolt fastening stabilizer link to knuckle.
- Remove nut and bolt fastening tension link to knuckle.
- Remove nut and bolt fastening camber link to knuckle.
- Remove knuckle.
- Remove hub mounting bolts from knuckle.
- Install four hub mounting bolts through knuckle from inboard side allowing ends to protrude from opposite side.
- Position knuckle on vehicle and install bolt and nut fastening camber link to knuckle. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Install bolt and nut fastening tension link to knuckle. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Install bolt and nut fastening stabilizer link to knuckle. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Install bolt fastening toe link to knuckle. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
Install bolt and nut fastening compression link to knuckle. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
NOTEPrior to using Special Tool 9361, lubricate bolt threads to provide ease of use and promote tool longevity.
- Place NEW knuckle sleeve onto Installer Bolt 9361-7, and slide it up to Bolt-s head.
- Slide Bolt 9361-7 with sleeve through knuckle and spring link ball joint starting from knuckle forward end.
- Install thrust bearing and nut on end of Bolt.
- While holding Bolt head stationary, rotate Nut (using hand tools) installing sleeve in knuckle. Install sleeve until Nut stops turning. Do not overtighten Nut.
- Remove special tool.
- Install spring link-to-knuckle bolt front-to-rear through knuckle and link, then install nut. While holding bolt head stationary, tighten nut to 102 ft. lbs. (138 Nm) torque.
- Remove under-hoist utility jack or jackstand from under spring link.
- Insert end of cable through rear knuckle and install mounting screw. Tighten screw to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install parking brake shoe support over hub and bearing mounting screws and onto face of knuckle.
- Install shoe actuator lever on end of parking brake cable. Make sure actuator lever is positioned with word -UP- facing outward.
Install parking brake shoes.
NOTEBefore installing hub and bearing on end of axle halfshaft, ensure isolation washer is present on end of halfshaft. Inspect washer making sure it is not worn or damaged. Washer can be installed in either direction on shaft.
- Install hub and bearing.
- Insert wheel speed sensor head into mounting hole in rear of knuckle.
- Install screw fastening sensor head to rear knuckle. Tighten Screw to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm) torque.
- Install sensor cable at rear brake rotor shield.
- Lower vehicle.
- Adjust parking brake shoes as necessary.
- Position vehicle on alignment rack/drive-on hoist. Raise vehicle as necessary to access mounting bolts.
Tighten fasteners at knuckle (vehicle at curb height) as follows:
Camber Link: 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
- Perform wheel alignment.