Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Refer to the Chassis Electrical section for service procedures. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury.
All fasteners must be tightened to proper specifications to ensure proper operation of the steering column.
- Disable the airbag system as by disconnecting and isolating the negative battery cable. Wait 2 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing any service.
- Position the front wheels straight-ahead.
- Fully extend or pull out the adjustable steering column.
- Remove the airbag.
- Remove the steering wheel retainer bolt, then slide the steering wheel off the shaft.
- If the steering wheel is being replaced, transfer attached components as necessary.
- Align the spline on the steering wheel hub to the column shaft, then install the steering wheel.
- Install a NEW retainer bolt and tighten the bolt to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- Install the airbag.
- Install the negative battery terminal on the battery.
- Test the operation of the horn, lights and any other functions that are steering column operated.