Removal & Installation
If removing left upper control arm, remove and reposition coolant recovery container. If removing right upper control arm, remove IPM from mount and reposition.
- If equipped, remove front shock tower cap from top of shock assembly.
- Remove three nuts fastening shock assembly to shock tower.
- Remove nuts from upper control arm mounting bolts.
- Raise and support vehicle
- Remove wheel mounting nuts, then tire and wheel assembly.
- Disconnect wheel speed sensor cable routing clip at brake tube bracket.
- Loosen nut attaching upper ball joint stud to knuckle.
Back nut off until nut is even with end of stud. Keeping nut on at this location will help keep end of stud from distorting while using Puller in next step.
WARNINGIn following step, use care not to damage ball joint seal boot while sliding Puller, Special Tool 9360, into place past seal boot.
- Using Puller, Special Tool 9360, separate upper ball joint stud from knuckle.
- Remove nut from end of upper ball joint stud.
- Pull shock assembly downward until studs clear shock tower, then pull it outward allowing access to upper control arm mounting bolts.
- Export Only. If servicing right upper control arm, disconnect headlamp leveling sensor link at upper control arm.
- Remove upper control arm mounting (flag) bolts.
- Remove upper control arm from bracket in shock tower.
Although AWD and RWD upper control arms are similar in appearance, they are not interchangeable.
- Slide upper control arm into bracket located in shock tower.
- Install upper control arm mounting (flag) bolts through bracket, arm and tower. Position flags on bolt heads outward, toward wheel opening.
- Export Only - If servicing right upper control arm, connect headlamp leveling sensor link at upper control arm.
- Move shock assembly allowing studs to be inserted through shock tower mounting holes.
- Place upper ball joint stud through hole in top of knuckle and install nut.
- Tighten nut by holding ball joint stud with a hex wrench while turning nut with a wrench.
- Tighten nut using crow foot wrench on torque wrench to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) + 90°turn.
- Connect wheel speed sensor cable routing clip at brake tube bracket.
- Install tire and wheel assembly .
- Tighten wheel mounting nuts to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm) torque.
- Lower vehicle to curb position.
- Install nuts on upper control arm body mounting bolts.
- Tighten nuts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm) torque
- Install three nuts fastening shock assembly to shock tower.
- Tighten nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) torque.
- If equipped, align shock tower cap with shock mounting nuts and snap into place.
- If installing left upper control arm, install coolant recovery container.
- If installing right upper control arm, install IPM.