Removal & Installation
- Raise and support vehicle.
On both sides of vehicle, remove wheel mounting nuts, then rear tire and wheel assembly.
CAUTIONBefore opening fuel system, review all Warnings and Cautions.
- If servicing left side, remove fuel filler tube.
- Position an extra pair of jack stands under and support forward end of engine cradle to help stabilize vehicle during rear suspension removal/installation.
- Perform following if vehicle is equipped with dual-exhaust or are servicing right side on vehicle with single exhaust.
- Position under-hoist utility jack or stand several inches below exhaust at muffler.
- Disconnect exhaust isolators at muffler and resonators hangers.
- Lower exhaust down to rest upon top of jack or stand placed below muffler.
- Position under-hoist utility jack or transmission jack under center of rear axle differential).
- Raise jack head to contact differential and secure in place. When securing crossmember to jack, be sure not to secure stabilizer bar.
Remove shock absorber upper mounting screws. Remove shock absorber lower mounting bolt and nut.
NOTEIf equipped with AWD, when removing crossmember mounting bolts in following step, be sure to not to misplace spacers between crossmember mounts and body.
WARNINGWhen removing crossmember mounting bolts it is important NOT to loosen or remove crossmember mounting bolts on opposite side of vehicle. Doing so will require rear wheel alignment following reinstallation to ensure proper thrust angle.
Remove both front and rear crossmember mounting bolts on repair-side of vehicle.
WARNINGTo avoid damaging other components of vehicle, do not lower crossmember any further than necessary to remove shock absorber.
- Slowly lower jack allowing repair-side of crossmember to drop. Do not lower jack at a fast rate.
- Lower jack just enough to allow top of shock absorber to clear body flange.
Remove shock absorber by tipping top outward and lifting lower end out of pocket in spring link.
NOTEDo not lower repair-side of crossmember any further than necessary to gain access to link mounting bolts at crossmember.
- Remove nut and bolt mounting link to knuckle.
- Remove nut and bolt mounting link to crossmember.
- Remove link.
When installing link, ensure following to avoid mis-installation:
Heavier, thicker end goes toward crossmember.Fore-or-aft bow faces forward (curves around coil spring).Up-or-down bow faces downward.
- Place link in bracket on crossmember.
- Install bolt and nut at crossmember as shown. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Install bolt and nut mounting link to knuckle as shown. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Install shock absorber by setting lower end into pocket in spring link, then tipping top inward until aligned with upper mounting holes.
- Install lower shock mounting bolt and nut. Do not tighten at this time.
- If vehicle is equipped with AWD, make sure spacers on top of crossmember mount bushings on side of repair are in position.
- Carefully raise jack, guiding coil spring and upper end of shock absorber into mounted positions.
- Install shock absorber upper mounting screws.
Tighten upper mounting screws to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm) torque.
NOTERear crossmember mounting bolts are longer than front mounting bolts. Do not interchange mounting bolts.
- Install crossmember mounting bolts. Snug, but do not fully tighten bolts at this time.
- Measure distance between from tension link to body weld flange directly in front of it, just outboard of front mount bushing. This distance must be at least 12 mm to allow proper clearance for suspension movement. If distance is less than 12 mm, shift that side of rear crossmember directly rearward until distance is 12 mm or greater. To do so, loosen 3 mounting bolts slightly, leaving one on opposite side of shift snugged to pivot off of. Shift crossmember rearward and snug loosened bolts. Measure opposite side to be sure it also maintains minimum 12 mm distance.
- Tighten all crossmember mounting bolts to 133 ft. lbs. (180 Nm) torque.
- Remove jack from under rear axle differential.
- If previously lowered, raise rear exhaust back to mounted position and connect exhaust isolators at muffler and resonators hangers.
- Remove jack or stand below exhaust muffler.
- If removed, install fuel filler tube.
- Lower vehicle until front tires contact floor but rear is still suspended. Place jack stands under each rear suspension spring link. Place an appropriate wooden block between stand and link to avoid damaging spring link, then lower vehicle until full vehicle weight is supported by suspension.
Tighten camber link fasteners to:
Bolt at crossmember to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm) torque.
- Raise vehicle and remove jack stands.
- Install tire and wheel assemblies.
- Tighten wheel mounting nuts to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm) torque.
- Lower vehicle.
- Perform wheel alignment.