Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Refer to electrical restraint system for service procedures. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury.
All fasteners must be torqued to specification to ensure proper operation of the steering column.
- Position the front wheels straight-ahead.
- Fully extend or pull out adjustable steering column.
- Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery.
- Remove the airbag..
- Remove the steering wheel retainer bolt, then slide the steering wheel off the shaft.
- If wheel is being replaced, transfer attached components as necessary.
- Align the spline on the steering wheel hub to the column shaft, then install the steering wheel.
- Install a NEW retainer bolt.
- Tighten the bolt to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- Install the airbag.
- Install the negative battery terminal on the battery. It is important that this is performed properly (including calibration of steering angle sensor if equipped with ESP).
- Test the operation of the horn, lights and any other functions that are steering column operated.