Removal & Installation
2.0L (Fs) Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
Remove the charcoal canister.
NOTEThe ABS hydraulic unit is not purchased as one part. Replace the ABS hydraulic unit and control module component as one assembly part if the ABS hydraulic unit is malfunctioning.
- Place an match mark on the brake pipes and HCU to mark their locations, this will aid in installation.
- Apply protective tape to the connector to prevent brake fluid from entering.
- Remove the brake pipes.
- Remove the bolts and the HCU brake pipe and the HCU.
- Install the screw plugs (supplied in the service part kit) onto the brake pipe holes of the HU.
Disconnect the motor connector as follows.
CAUTIONDo not apply force on the locking tab when disconnecting the connector.
- Lift up the tab to unlock the connector by hand.
- Pull the connector from the ABS control module by grasping the side of the motor connector.
- Carefully pull the wiring of the pump motor out of the cable guides.
- Secure the HU as shown in a vise.
- Remove the bolts.
Protect the HU from damage to the valve body and keep the sealing surface free from foreign materials
Installation is the reverse of removal. Refer to the illustration for component location and torque values. Also please note the following:
- Verify that the sealing surface of the HU is clean. If there are scratches, grooves or dirt, do not mechanically rework. Carefully remove any dirt or seal residue with plastic tools only. The use of chemical solvents is not permitted.
Install the spring plate properly. When re-installing, insert the spring plate over the valve bodies in the correct position to preload the spring and to center the solenoid coils.
- Carefully fit the coils of the ABS CM over the valve bodies.
- Locate the ABS CM by placing the new bolts evenly against the housing and tightening them slightly by hands. To aid alignment, the housing may be pressed onto the contact surface by hand while tightening the bolts.
Tighten the bolts to 24 inch lbs. in the order shown.
- Visually inspect for all bolts mode contact. The ABS CM must be flush against the housing with no gap in the area of the bolts.
- Connect the 2-pin connector of the pump motor to the ABS CM. Verify that the spring clip is engaged securely.
- Clip the wiring back in the cable guide.
- Reinsert the soft mount if it has fallen out.
- Inspect flats of two side retaining bolts and position flats vertically by turning bolts as necessary
- Align with the mark made before removing the brake pipe and temporarily install the brake pipe to the HCU. Tighten the brake pipe to the torque shown in the illustration.
- Bleed the brake system