Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
Remove the floor console.
- Apply the handbrake.
- Remove the antenna unit by turning it slightly anticlockwise and then lifting it up.
- Remove the cover plate of the ignition switch by first lifting the rear edge of the cover clear and then disengaging the front edge.
- Undo the retaining screw of the floor console.
- Take out the rear ashtray/cover.
- Remove the rear cover.
- Remove the floor console retaining nuts.
- Loosen the floor console by pulling it straight back and lifting it slightly.
- Unplug the connector to the remote control receiver.
- On convertible models, remove the interior lighting switch using a screwdriver or by pressing from below and pulling straight up (the switch is secured with clips). Unplug the switch contact.
- Loosen the window lift module by releasing the front (snap fastener). Unplug the window lift module connector.
Lift away the floor console.
Remove the center console.
- Remove the side panels by removing the retaining screws (one screw is located behind the glove compartment) and pressing each part out of the center console.
- On manual transmission vehicles, remove the gearbox gaiter with a screwdriver. The gaiter is fastened with clips.
- Remove the rim.
- Cars with ACC: Press out the ACC module from the rear and unplug the connector.
- Cars without ACC: Press out the heater control panel from the rear.
- Detach the air distribution shaft from the air distribution control.
- Unplug the connectors for the vent control lighting, fan speed, electrically heated rear window and air recirculation.
- Detach the cable to the heater control on the valve control module. The cable is secured with an eye bolt and locked with a lock washer.
- Remove the heater control panel.
- Unplug all the connectors to the center console.
- Remove the expansion rivets that secure the console to the dashboard by pressing in the center pin approx. 3 mm and pulling the rivet out. Use 84 71 179 Removal tool.
Lift away the center console.
Remove the selector lever housing.
- Detach the air duct to the rear air vent.
- Remove the E-circlip and anti-rattle clip.
- Drive out the pin while removing the end of the cable from the ball.
- Remove the screws securing the gear lever housing.
- Unplug the selector lever housing's connector.
- Lift up the selector lever housing, undo the cable ties securing the wiring harness for the ignition switch and airbag, unplug the connection from the ignition switch.
- Remove the clamp located beside the locking catches.
- Carefully press the catches securing the cable ferrule towards each other and remove the cable from the bracket.
- Lift out the selector lever housing.
Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
WARNINGWhen working on a dismantled selector lever housing, the selector lever should be protected with foam rubber or the like.
Dismantle the selector lever casing.
- Move the selector lever to position N or D.
Remove the screw securing the front part of the selector lever casing.
- Remove the front part.
- Press up the SPORT button from below.
- Unsolder the SPORT button. Place some form of protection under it so that drops of solder do not fall onto the center console.
Remove the clip and pull up the release button together with the rear part of the selector lever casing.
- The electric leads remain in the lever casing.
- Cut the cable tie holding the lead for the lighting button in place.
- Cut the cable tie securing the lead to the electromagnet.
- Remove pins 5 and 6 to the electromagnet lead from the connector.
- Remove the shift indicator display.
- Remove the screws securing the ignition switch.
- Drill out the rivets.
- Dismantle the selector lever housing.
Remove the selector lever retaining bolt.
- Remove the selector lever with holder from the base plate.
- Tap out the spacer sleeve.
- Detach the selector lever from the holder.
- Remove the expanding pin securing the cable ferrule.
Remove the clip from the locking pin.
- Withdraw the cable from the holder.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.