Refer to Routine Maintenance for air conditioning system discharging information.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and discharge the refrigerant from the air conditioning system according to the proper procedure. Observe all safety precautions.
- Disconnect the suction hose at the compressor. Cap the suction hose and the compressor to prevent entrance of dirt and moisture.
- Disconnect the accumulator/drier inlet tube from the evaporator core outlet. Perform the spring-lock coupling disconnect procedure described in detail later in this section.
- Disengage the wire harness connector from the A/C cycling/pressure switch on top of the accumulator/drier.
- Remove the screw holding the accumulator/drier in the accumulator bracket, then remove the accumulator/drier.
- On Taurus SHO, Taurus and Sable equipped with the 3.8L engine, drill a 1 / 2 in. hole in the removed accumulator/drier body and drain the refrigerant oil through the hole. Add the same amount of oil removed, plus 2 oz. (60 ml) of clean refrigerant oil to the new accumulator/drier. On all other vehicles, drain the oil from the removed accumulator/drier. Add the same amount plus 2 oz. (60 ml) of clean refrigerant oil to 3.0L engine equipped vehicles and the same amount plus 1 oz. (30 ml) to 2.5L engine equipped vehicles.
- Position the accumulator/drier on the vehicle and route the suction hose to the compressor.
- Using a new O-ring lubricated with clean refrigerant oil, connect the accumulator/drier inlet tube to the evaporator core outlet.
- Install the screw in the accumulator/drier bracket.
- Using a new O-ring lubricated with clean refrigerant oil, connect the suction hose to the compressor.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Leak test, evacuate and charge the system according to the proper procedure. Check the system for proper operation.