Refer to Routine Maintenance for air conditioning system discharging information.
The A/C evaporator core orifice should be replaced whenever the compressor is replaced for lack of performance.
The A/C evaporator core orifice located in the condenser to evaporator tube cannot be serviced as a component of the line. If replacement is necessary, use the procedure for refrigerant line removal and installation located earlier in this section.
An orifice tube replacement service kit may be used for an optional service procedure. The procedure for installation and removal of the service it are as follows:
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Fixed Orifice Tube Replacement Kit
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Discharge the refrigerant from the air conditioning system according to the proper procedure.
- Remove the liquid line from the vehicle.
- Locate the orifice tube by three indented notches or a circular depression in the metal portion of the liquid line. Note the angular position of the ends of the liquid line so that it can be reassembled in the correct position.
- Cut a 2 1 / 2 in. (63.5mm) section from the tube at the orifice tube location. Do not cut closer than 1 in. (25.4mm) from the start of the bend in the tube.
- Remove the orifice tube from the housing using pliers. An orifice tube removal tool cannot be used.
- Flush the two pieces of liquid line to remove any contaminants.
- Lubricate the O-rings with clean refrigerant oil and assemble the orifice tube kit, with the orifice tube installed, to the liquid line. Make sure the flow direction arrow is pointing toward the evaporator end of the liquid line and the taper of each compressor ring is toward the compressor nut.
The inlet tube will be positioned against the orifice tube tabs when correctly assembled.
- While holding the hex of the tube in a vise, tighten each compression nut to 65-70 ft. lbs. (88-94 Nm) with a crow foot wrench.
- Assemble the liquid line to the vehicle using new O-rings lubricated with clean refrigerant oil. Use only the specified O-rings at the spring lock coupling.
- Leak test, evacuate and charge the system according to the proper procedure. Observe all safety precautions.
- Check the system for proper operation.