REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then discharge the A/C system properly.
- Fit a 3 / 8 in., 1 / 2 in., 5 / 8 in., or 3 / 4 in. Spring Lock Coupling Tool to the coupling.
The garter spring may not release if the tool is cocked while pushing it into the cage opening.
- Close the tool and push into the open side of the cage to expand the garter spring and release the female fitting.
- After the garter spring is expanded, pull the fitting apart, then remove the tool from the disconnected coupling.
- Check to make sure the garter spring is in the cage of the male fitting. If the garter spring is missing, install a new spring by pushing it into the cage opening. If the garter spring is damaged, remove it from the cage with a small wire hook (do not use a screwdriver), then install a new spring.
- Clean all dirt or foreign material from both pieces of the coupling.
On the female spring lock design, check the inside of each fitting for scratches, corrosion, or debris from deteriorated O-rings. If any is found, the fitting should be cleaned as follow:
- Remove any surface residue from the inside of the female spring lock coupling by polishing with 400-grit emery cloth (or equivalent). Polish the female surface using a twisting motion so that any scratches make will not cross the O-ring sealing surface.
- Perform additional polishing of the surface using 600-grit emery cloth or equivalent.
- All residue from the polishing operations should be removed from the fitting by wiping with a line-free cloth.
- Lubricate and install new green O-ring seals on the male fitting.
Only use the specified green O-ring seals because they are made of a special material. The use of any O-ring seal other than the specified type, may allow the connection to leak intermittently during operation.
- Lubricate the male fitting, green O-ring seals and the inside of the female fitting with clean refrigerant oil.
- Install a plastic indicator ring into the cage opening if the indicator ring is to be used.
- Fit the female fitting to the male fitting, then push into the garter spring snaps over the flared end of the female fitting. If the plastic indicator ring is used, it will snap out of the cage opening when the coupling is connected to indicate engagement. If the ring is not used, check the coupling engage by making sure the garter spring is over the flared end of the female fitting.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then properly leak test, evacuate and charge the system using the correct equipment. Check the system for proper operation.