REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 13
If you are not thoroughly familiar with the procedure involved with brake shoe replacement, disassemble and assemble one side at a time, leaving the other side intact as a reference.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Remove the adjusting lever tang from the hole in the secondary shoe by grabbing the lever with a pair of pliers.
- Place a wheel cylinder clamp over the wheel cylinder to retain its piston while the brake shoes are removed.
- Unfasten the return springs with a brake springs removal tool by twisting them off the anchor pin.
- Carefully remove the secondary shoe return spring, the adjusting cable, primary shoe return spring, the cable guide, the adjusting lever and spring in that order.
- Unfasten the hold-down springs and withdraw the shoes. Be careful not to get grease on the lining surfaces of the shoes.
Always replace the shoes and linings on both wheels of the same axle; do not replace the shoes and linings on one side only.
- If there is any grease contamination, clean all of the parts, except the drums, with mineral spirits. If there is brake fluid contamination, use alcohol to clean the parts. Then clean all parts, including the drums with soap and water.
- Polish the legs on the brake support plate with fine emery cloth. If there are any grooves on the support plate which limit shoe movement, the plate must be replaced (do not attempt to regrind).
- Lubricate the ledges on the support plate, anchor pin, adjusting cable guide, adjusting screw threads and the pivot with molybdenum disulfide grease.
- Place the shoes on the support plate and retain them with the hold-down springs.
The following sequence is for 10 in. (254mm) brakes; reverse Steps 5 and 6 for 9 in. (228.6mm) brakes.
- Fit the adjusting cable eyelet over the anchor pin.
- Install one end of the primary return spring in the primary shoe and the other end over the anchor pin with the brake spring tool.
- Install the adjusting cable guide.
- Fit the secondary shoe return spring in the same manner in which you installed the primary spring.
- Install the adjusting screw assembly at the base of the brake shoe. Place the small hooked end of the adjusting spring into the large hole in the primary shoe.
- Fit the large hooked end of the adjusting spring into the hole in the adjusting lever.
- Engage the hooked end of the adjusting cable with the adjusting lever and place the cable over the cable guide.
- Hook the tang on the adjusting lever into the large hole at the base of the secondary shoe by grasping the lever with pliers and pulling it into place.
- Adjust the brakes and install the drums, as detailed elsewhere in this information.