REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The air cleaner has a disposable element which should be replaced at the intervals shown in the `Service Intervals' chart. It should be checked at every oil change. To check or replace the element:
- Remove the wing nut at the top.
- On a 4-151 or V8 engine, lift off the large disc under the wing nut. Remove the element.
- On a six, detach the PCV hose at the valve cover. Don't pull the hose our of the air cleaner or you will damage it. Remove the whole top of the air cleaner and remove the element.
- There are a couple of ways to clean the element. How well either works depends on the type of dirt trapped in the paper element. Dust and dirt can be removed by rapping the element on a flat surface or by blowing from the inside with an air hose. If the element still appears black or clogged, replace it. A clogged filter causes a rich fuel/air mixture and low gas mileage.
- Wipe out the housing and install the new or rejuvenated element.
- Reinstall the top of the unit and the wing nut.
See Figures 5, 6 and 7