REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
Some steering shafts have metric steering wheel nut threads. Metric shafts are identified by a groove running around the splines, and blue colored threads.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- On wheels with horn button, remove the button by lifting up and pulling out.
- On wheels with a horn bar, remove the screws from the back of the wheel and remove the bar. Do the same on rimblow wheels.
- On rim-blow wheels, pull the wire out of the center connection.
- Remove the nut and washer.
- Install the bolts of a steering wheel puller into the tapped holes in the wheel and remove the wheel from the shaft.
- Align the marks on the steering shaft and the wheel at the top.
- Install the washer and nut and tighten the nut to 20 ft. lbs. This is a critical fastener; it must be torqued.
- On wheels with a horn button, index the projection on the rubber retaining ring with the notch in the cup and push down to engage the ring.
- On wheels with a horn bar, place the horn wire in the hole and secure it with the retainer and then install the screws. Do the same for rim-blow wheels.
- Connect the battery cable.