REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the ground cable from the battery. On cars with tilt steering wheels, place the column in the straight position. Remove the steering wheel.
- Loosen the anti-theft cover attaching screws and remove the cover from the column. Do not hammer on the shaft. Do not move the screws from the cover; they are attached to it with plastic retainers.
- To remove the lockplate, a special compressor is required. This tool is an inverted U-shape with a hole for the shaft. The shaft nut is used to force it down. Depress the lockplate and pry the snapring from the groove in the steering shaft. Remove the tool, snapring, plate, turn signal cam, upper bearing preload spring, and thrust washer from the shaft.
- Place the turn signal lever in the right turn position and remove it.
- Depress the hazard warning switch button and remove it, by rotating it counterclockwise. Remove the package tray (if equipped) and the lower trim panel.
- Disconnect the wire harness connector block at its mounting bracket, which is located on the right side of the lower column. Remove the steering column mounting bracket attaching bolts. Remove the turn signal switch wiring harness protector from the bottom of the column.
To aid in the removal and replacement of the directional switch harness, tape the harness connector to the wire harness to prevent snagging when removing the wiring harness assembly through the steering column. Prepare the new turn signal switch harness in the same manner for ease of installation.
- On Gremlin, Hornet, Concord, and Spirit models equipped with a column mounted automatic transmission selector, use a paper clip to depress the locktab that holds the shift quadrant light wire in the connector block.
- Remove the switch attaching screws. Withdraw the switch and wire harness from the column.
- Insert the key into the lock cylinder and turn to the ON position. Remove the warning buzzer switch and the contacts as an assembly using needlenosed pliers. Take care not to let the contacts fall into the column.
- Turn the key to the LOCK position and compress the lock cylinder retaining tab. Remove the lock cylinder. If the tab is not visible through the slot, knock the casting flash out of the slot.
- Hold the lock cylinder sleeve and turn the lock cylinder clockwise (counterclockwise 1977 and later) until it contacts the stop.
- Align the lock cylinder key with the keyway in the housing and slip the cylinder into the housing.
- Lightly depress the cylinder against the sector, while turning it counterclockwise, until the cylinder and sector are engaged.
- Depress the cylinder until the retaining tab engages, and the lock cylinder is secured.
- Install the turn signal switch. Be sure that the actuating lever pivot is properly seated and aligned in the top of the housing boss, before installing it with its screws.
- Install the turn signal lever and check the operation of the switch.
- Install the thrust washer, spring and turn signal cancelling cam on the steering shaft.
- Align the lockplate and steering shaft splines, and position the lockplate so that the turn signal camshaft protrudes from the `dogleg' opening in the lockplate.
- Use snapring pliers to install the snapring on the end of the steering shaft.
- Secure the anti-theft cover with its screws.
- Install the button on the hazard warning switch. Install the steering wheel, as detailed above.