REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the ground cable from the battery. On cars with tilt steering wheels, place the column in the straight position. Remove the steering wheel.
- Loosen the anti-theft cover attaching screws and remove the cover from the column. Do not hammer on the shaft. Do not move the screws from the cover; they are attached to it with plastic retainers.
- To remove the lockplate, a special compressor is required. This tool is an inverted U-shape with a hole for the shaft. The shaft nut is used to force it down. Depress the lockplate and pry the snapring from the groove in the steering shaft. Remove the tool, snapring, plate, turn signal cam, upper bearing preload spring, and thrust washer from the shaft.
- Place the turn signal lever in the right turn position and remove it.
- Depress the hazard warning switch button and remove it, by rotating it counterclockwise. Remove the package tray (if equipped) and the lower trim panel.
- Disconnect the wire harness connector block at its mounting bracket, which is located on the right side of the lower column. Remove the steering column mounting bracket attaching bolts. Remove the turn signal switch wiring harness protector from the bottom of the column.
To aid in the removal and replacement of the directional switch harness, tape the harness connector to the wire harness to prevent snagging when removing the wiring harness assembly through the steering column. Prepare the new turn signal switch harness in the same manner for ease of installation.
- On Gremlin, Hornet, Concord, and Spirit models equipped with a co