The anti-lock brake Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) is located in the front of the engine compartment on the left-hand side of the vehicle. It attaches to a bracket that is mounted to the left-hand front inside rail inside the engine compartment. The battery and battery tray sit atop the hydraulic control bracket.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- On all vehicles, except Taurus SHO, disconnect the battery cables, then remove the battery from the vehicle. Remove the battery tray. Remove the three plastic push pins holding the acid shield to the HCU mounting bracket, then remove the acid shield.
- On Taurus SHO, it is only necessary to disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the electronic control unit and its mounting bracket from the top of the HCU mounting bracket.
- Unfasten the 19-pin connector from the HCU to the wiring harness, then detach the 4-pin connector from the HCU to the pump motor relay.
- Remove the two lines from the inlet ports and the four lines from the outlet ports of the HCU. Plug each port to prevent brake fluid from spilling onto the paint and wiring.
The nut on the front of the HCU also retains the relay mounting bracket.
- Remove the three nuts retaining the HCU assembly to the mounting bracket, then remove the assembly from the vehicle.
Attach the relay mounting bracket with the nut on the front of the hydraulic control unit reservoir.
- Position the HCU reservoir assembly into the mounting bracket, then secure using the three retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 12-18 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm).
- Connect the four lines to the outlet ports on the side of the HCU reservoir and the two tubes to the inlet ports on the rear of the HCU reservoir, then tighten to 10-18 ft. lbs. (14-24 Nm).
- Fasten the 19-pin connector to the harness, then attach the 4-pin connector to the pump motor relay.