Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the four ignition coils, as outlined in the Engine Electrical Section.
- Remove the two bolts securing the vacuum line.
- Remove the bolt securing the power steering hose bracket.
- Remove the dipstick and breather hose.
- Remove the cylinder head cover.
- Thoroughly clean the head cover gasket and the groove.
- Install the head cover gasket in the groove of the cylinder head cover.
- Check that the mating surfaces are clean and dry.
Apply liquid gasket, P/N 08717-0004, 08718-0001, 08718-0002, 08718-0003, or 08718-0009, on the chain case and the No. 5 rocker shaft holder mating areas.
NOTEDo not install components if too much time has passed after applying the liquid gasket (for P/N 08718-0002, no more than 4 minutes, for all others, no more than 5 minutes). Instead, remove the old residue and reapply the liquid gasket.
- Set the spark plug seals on the spark plug tubes. Place the cylinder head cover on the cylinder head, then slide the cover slightly back and forth to seat the head cover gasket.
- Inspect the cover washers. Replace any washer that is damaged or deteriorated.
Tighten the cylinder head cover bolts in two or three steps. In the final step tighten all bolts, in sequence, to 8.7 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
WARNINGWait at least 30 minutes before filling the engine with oil. Do not run the engine for at least 3 hours after installing the head cover.
- Install the dipstick and breather hose.
- Tighten the bolt securing the power steering hose bracket.
- Tighten the two bolts securing the vacuum line.
- Install the four ignition coils.
- Check that all tubes, hoses, and connectors are installed correctly.
- Install the engine cover.